Cannot open downloaded S2 zip file

Hi,

After download of this file:

S2A_OPER_PRD_MSIL1C_PDMC_20161014T011122_R121_V20161013T082002_20161013T082137

I cannot open the zip file. I get an error message that the file path is too long as follows;

“An unexpected error is keeping you from copying this file. If you continue to received this error, you can use the error code to search for help with this problem. Error 0x80010135 Path too long”

Anyone have any ideas? I’ve opened and used other S2 data before?

Many thanks

Hi,
unzip this file to simply path eg. D:… or change name of zip file to eg. 1 and unzip. It should help.

Regards

I’ve extracted the folder to my desktop or c:. This seems to work. I then copy over to my Sentinel2 folder. I don’t seem to receive any errors from programs like SNAP or ArcGIS that the folder is too long when I access from my Sentinel2 folder.

Hi Colin,

The example you have highlighted uses the Naming Convention used for Sentinel-2 Level-1C products generated before the 6th of December, 2016. This was modified due to Windows OS restrictions on path length (a limit of 256 characters) which resulted in the message you receive. See News item from 29 November 2016

Products made available after the 6th of December 2016 are distributed in the Compact Naming Convention.
You can find information on both conventions here:

https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/user-guides/sentinel-2-msi/naming-convention

Cheers

Jan

S2 MPC Operations Manager

Thanks very much to those that replied. It rang a vague bell that something about the format had changed. Extracting to the desktop, and then cutting and pasting into the folder of my choice worked.

Thanks again.

Thank you for news of the update. It sounds like a much needed one. I hope they will apply the new naming convention retroactively if possible or I guess I can do it myself.