Change detection and ratio

I tried the ALOS World DEM instead of SRTM and it works fine.

You can register for the data here for free:
http://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS/en/aw3d30/

Download the tiles

• N009W070
  • N009W071
  • N010W070
  • N010W071

and make a mosaic. You can use this as the DEM input for Terrain Correction.

Excelent ABraun, I will to try!!! Thanks very much…

Hi ABraun,
I used MapReady for ALOS-1 L1.5 for Terrain correction, and it worked well, I want to do calibration, speckle filtering and Terrain correction, there is calibration and Terrain correction in MapReady, but there is no speckle filtering option, and the input was the original CEOS file, I performed the speckle filtering in SNAP after the Terrain correction, but it does not give good results, it has to be carried out before the Terrain correction? what is your opinion?

You can either use the MapReady internal smoothing option. It is a bit hidden. You have to chek “run external program” in the General Tab and then select Smooth and a window size:

The other option is to

1. select PolSARpro as an output format of ASF MapReady after Calibration and then
  2. import it in SNAP to perform speckle filtering there. Then, again,
  3. export the filtered product as PolSARpro from SNAP and
  4. import in MapReady for the Terrain Correction step.

This will, however, only work when all metadata is preserved by the PolSARpro format.

Thank you ABraun

Hi all

For orthorectification of ALOS PALSAR 1 images is necessary deskewing the data to transfer into a zero Doppler before of apply terrain correction, below, my image without geometric distortions. The processing was applied for level 1.1

Below,
Left: data deskewing before TC
Right: data without deskewing with TC

Yes, ALOS data must be deskewed. This is not the case for ALOS-2.
Was that part of your problem?

Hi ABraun, yes, effectively, this was part of my problem for the processing :disappointed_relieved:

didn’t think of that earlier - sorry.

For God sake, this not is you guilt, you help me to much… I am very grateful with you :blush:

Below

Image level 1.5 of ALOS PALSAR 1 processed with Map Ready, the DEM used was SRTM 30m downloaded of Earth Explorer and its processing with Arc Map for voids fill

Can you say me please:
what kind of filter did you use in your SAR images ???

Hi camilomu

The image level 1.1 have Refined Lee filter…

Hi Gabriela, thanks for your answer.

I would like to know Why did You use this filter and not other for example GammaMap, BoxCar or others??? perhaps is Refineed Lee the best filter???

Hi camilomu

I dont’ know if Lee is better or not… I used Lee filter for to work with the mean and median … please take the look for this paper
Effects and performance of speckle noise reduction filters on active radar and sar images.pdf (699.7 KB)

Hi all

Below: Composition multitemporal in RGB for Change Detection, with ALOS PALSAR 1 images level 1.5, processed with Map Ready

HI all

Screenshot with composition multitemporal in RGB and log ratio bands, for an area in Venezuela, the images are ALOS PALSAR 1, in levels 1.5 and 1.1 for change detection, using amplitude and intensity, please take look this, the images 1 and 2 (left to right) are bands extracted from level 1.5 using amplitude; and bands 3 and 4 are levels 1.1 using intensity

1 Like

Hi all
I posted an screenshot with composition multitemporal in RGB, now I see radiometric distortions for this I maked different processings for ALOS PALSAR 1 images level 1.1…

In the top left the image was processed using correction for radiometric distortions (Terrain flattening), filter, deskew and terrain correction plus stacking.
In the top right image was processed using correction radiometric, filter, deskew, terrain correction plus stacking.
Below the image was processed using correction radiometric, multilook, filter, deskew, terrain correction plus stacking.

My question is: Why I not have better visualization with the terrain flattening?

there were some issues with the terrain flattening module as reported here:

I don’t know if it is resolved yet but I can remember that it worked better in earlier versions.

1 Like