SAR processing

Am new to SAR data , Apologies if these questions sound petty.

1.What is the difference between normalized radar and backscattering coefficient ?
2.How can i convert sar image to polarized coefficient ? Does it have to be dual or cross polarized data?
3. Is there a way i can do image classification with integral equation model ? Is there a link to access without
me creating one?
4. How can i join two SAR images together ? What is the process?
5. if i have a shapefile , how do i use it to subset and get the correct study area ?

Please be a bit more precise regarding terminology. This helps us understand your problem. Give examples on specific terms and where you read them (normalized radar, polarized coefficient, integral equation model,…) We can’t know what you’re working on :slight_smile:

I’ll start here:

How can i join two SAR images together ? What is the process?

Are the images next to each other or cover the same area?

if i have a shapefile , how do i use it to subset and get the correct study area ?

this is answered here: Subset using Vector file

Thank s , though my study area is at the tidal flats , hence in the middle between lands , how can i clip out only the study area ?

the land/sea mask operator allows you to mask out the land images based on a digital elevation model.

Or you zoom to that area and right-click > “create subset from view”

No . one image covers but of the other one , so i need to join to have the the whole study area .

okay thanks i will try out .

No . one image covers but of the other one , so i need to join to have the the whole study area .

if they are next to each other and you want to have them as one big image, this is called creating a mosaic. You’ll find a module for it in SNAP.

Thanks alot

If you are generally new to SAR imagery I can highly recommend the radar course of the EO college: https://eo-college.org/
Best materials available on the web.

3 Likes

I need to have a surface roughness between -1 to 1 . I have seen most of the papers have used Normalized radar cross section (NRCS) , Band coefficient and polarization coefficient for shellfish distribution. The general urge is to know how to interpret the sar image .
I have enrolled for the course .
Thanks