Sen2Cor updates

Hello,
I have a question about the constant upgrades of Sen2Cor.
I am developing my dissertation with reflectance data that I obtain through atmospheric corrections with Sen2Cor. So far I have corrected 29 images with version 2.4.0, however, version 2.5.5 has been released and I can not understand the details of these updates. So, I wonder if these updates correct some parameter used for the atmospheric corrections or just details to improve the plugin?

@daciocambraiafilho
Hi Dacio
The SRN (Software Release Note) can be found here:

http://step.esa.int/main/third-party-plugins-2/sen2cor/

Cheers

Jan

Jan Jackson
S2 MPC/CC Operations Manager

1 Like

Dear daciocambraiafilho,

whether you should reprocess or not depends on what you are interested in and how much time it takes for you to reanalyse your 29 processed images. The Sen2Cor reprocessing itself of the images alone will take less than 1 day only if doing it in a batch job.
There are significant improvements in scene classification and AOT retrieval in Sen2Cor 2.5 compared to 2.4. More accurate AOT retrieval results in better corrected images.
The scene classification module now can use auxiliary information which improved the correct classification of water bodies and snow covered area, reduced the false detection of urban area as clouds and improved the cirrus detection in mountainous areas. For AOT retrieval several fixes had been applied and also evolutions implemented. These significantly affect AOT retrieval if you have dense dark vegetation (DDV)-pixels in your images. Accuracy +/- precision for AOT retrieval improved from 0.11 +/-0.07 for Sen2Cor version 2.4 to 0.04 +/- 0.03 for Sen2Cor version 2.5 for vegetated area. If you are interested in non-vegetated area and don’t have DDV-pixels in your images, then nothing is changed and a reprocessing is useless (if you dont have an advantage from the improved classification).
Little more detailed information about performance of Sen2Cor 2.5 you find in the L2A-session of the 2nd Sentinel-2 Validation Team meeting:
https://nikal.eventsair.com/QuickEventWebsitePortal/sentinel-2-validation-team-meeting/s2vtm/ExtraContent/ContentPage?page=10

bdpg

2 Likes