ALOS Global Digital Surface Model versus Self-derived inSAR DEM

Hello everyone, I would like to gather some second opinions!
According to some article research I understood it is possible to derive your own DEM from ALOS-Palsar using interferometry in SNAP. My question is however, is it useful to try this out?
Will there be a big difference with the ALOS Global Digital Surface Model from JAXA or will the resolution be any different?
Just gathering some opninions from more experienced interferometrists ( is this a word?!) before I dive more into the subject.

Thank you very much!

ALOS-2 has a temporal baseline of 46 days. That means, two adjacent images are acquired with a long time passing between the first and the second which leads to massive phase decorrelation. This is partially compensated by the large wavelengh which often results higher coherence. But if there is vegetation in your study area results won’t be very good. In ideal cases (dry and no coverage) you can get good results if the processing works out (fine coregistration, no unwrapping ect…)

The ALOS World DEM is based on photogrammetric height extraction from ALOS Prism, not PALSAR. I don’t think that InSAR leads to better topigraphic quality as the one available.

2 Likes

Thank you very much for the clarification! I’m working in an arid region so I think I might try giving it a shot!
Your answer is much appreciated!

yes, sure! Maybe you can share your findings here and let us know how well it works (coherence, fringes, unwrapping…).

If I get something noteworthy I will share it :wink: