Can SNAP read NPP VIIRS EDR data?

It seems possible that SNAP can red NPP VIIRS SDR/EDR data.But I tested this from the ‘File/Import/Optical Sensors’ and got failed message. Maybe this functionality is under development? I hope it will be integrated into SNAP in the near future.

Actually it should work. From where have you downloaded the data?
From OBPG, from NOAA or some other source?
Maybe not every distributed format is supported.

Dear Marco Peters:
I usually download NPP VIIRS data from NOAA’s Comprehensive Large Array-data Stewardship System (CLASS) web site

https://www.class.ngdc.noaa.gov/saa/products/welcome

The up-to-date version of the data format is Version 7.2.0.1.

I hope SNAP can work out this issue.
Thanks to you.

Li Xuwen
China

在 2017-04-03 22:11:01,“Marco Peters” forum@step-email.net 写道:

|
| | marpet
April 3 |
|
|

Actually it should work. From where have you downloaded the data?
From OBPG, from NOAA or some other source?
Maybe not every distributed format is supported.

|

Visit Topic or reply to this email to respond.

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

What is the error message when you try to open the file? Are you using the latest SNAP version?
Could you post the messages.log file which you find when you click in the menu at Help / Show Log Directory. Force the error first before sending the file.
I just tried it. I’ve downloaded GMODO-SVM03_npp_d20170325_t2354308_e0000112_b28029_c20170403152556596951_noac_ops.h5 and I can open it. The content is not looking so good. All pixels have the same value. But it can be opened.

Dear Marco Pters:
Thank you for your detailed reply about NPP VIIRS data read issue on SNAP. The version is 5.0 and I keep frequent updating and now it is 5.0.4 for SNAP.
I usually download VIIRS EDR data from NOAA CLASS https://www.class.ngdc.noaa.gov/saa/products/welcome, and the VIIRS data file name is like this:

GIGTO-VI1BO-VI2BO-VI3BO-VI4BO-VI5BO_npp_d20170402_t0538198_e0544299_b28132_c20170403000740132178_noac_ops.h5
When I import VIIRS data from SNAP 'File/Import/Optical sensors/VIIRS (SDR EDR)‘, I run into this error message:

The SNAP log file is attached in this email.
If needed. I can send you a VIIRS data file to you for testing and finding the source of error.Of course it is very big in size (more than 1 GB usually).
Great thanks to you!

Li Xuwen
Nanjing,China

在 2017-04-03 23:43:35,“Marco Peters” forum@step-email.net 写道:

|
| | marpet
April 3 |
|
|

What is the error message when you try to open the file? Are you using the latest SNAP version?
Could you post the messages.log file which you find when you click in the menu at Help / Show Log Directory. Force the error first before sending the file.
I just tried it. I’ve downloaded GMODO-SVM03_npp_d20170325_t2354308_e0000112_b28029_c20170403152556596951_noac_ops.h5 and I can open it. The content is not looking so good. All pixels have the same value. But it can be opened.

|

In Reply To
|
| | lxw241
April 3 |
|
| Dear Marco Peters: I usually download NPP VIIRS data from NOAA’s Comprehensive Large Array-data Stewardship System (CLASS) web site https://www.class.ngdc.noaa.gov/saa/products/welcome The up-to-date version of the data format is Version 7.2.0.1. I hope SNAP can work out this issue. Thanks… |

To unsubscribe from these emails, click here.

messages.log (79.3 KB)

It seems your data is one-dimensional. The reader can not find the second dimension which defines the width.
So it seems the data can not be read. We rely on the SeaDAS guys here. maybe SeaDAS has been updated for this file type. But it doesn’t seem so. Maybe this specific format is not supported.
I’ll contact the SeaDAS Team.

A post was split to a new topic: Using S2 MCI Processor

Hello

I got to this question while trying to do some operation on VIIRS data. My data is not SDR however I can open it. VIIRS/NPP Snow Cover Daily L3 Global 375m SIN Grid, this the data that I am able to open but when I try to use the reproject option, SNAP doesn’t recognize it (the name of my tile “VNP10A1.A2023254.h01v11.001.2023255092158.h5” is not visible in the top down menu when I try to select a layer for reprojection.

Is it possible to even to do this on SNAP with this data?

I downloaded the data from here