Can't read S2 commissioning sample data

Hello @Carlos and @math,

Please inform me about the following :

• Operating system with version
  • version of SNAP (you confirm you used 2.0-beta5)
  • S2 Product you used (name of the SAFE directory)

In your home folder, there should be a directory called “.snap” which contains a log file located in “.snap/var/log/messages.log”. Please attach it here (via the “Upload” icon) or make a copy available somewhere that I could read it.

Thanks

In my case I found the problem. I had installed it as root in “/opt” and it only worked OK (showing the pixels values) if executed as root. I reinstall it but now with my normal user and in my “home” folder and it works OK.
Thank you anyway for your interest.

Hi @Carlos,

Thanks for reporting this issue.
I will add it in our bug tracker and we’ll strive to find a solution for it.

Julien

Hello @jmalik!

• Win 7 Professional
  • 2.0-beta5
  • S2A_OPER_PRD_MSIL1C_PDMC_20150714T123646_R019_V20150704T102427_20150704T102427.SAFE

I was unable to find the log file :frowning:

OK, after uninstalling toolboxes and reinstalling SNAP I was able to open it using XML file. Still got error “No appropriate reader found” when trying to open ‘manifest.safe’

Now I’m attempting to export the same file as HDF5. Error message “Writing failed” (not very helpful)
messages.log (91.8 KB)

Hey Jenny,

In SNAP during the import phase you can choose each bands with different resolution (10, 20 and 60m) you want to import. You can also import all of them.

Regards,
José

Indeed. Sentinel 2 Toolbox don´t open the XML you should install the latest version of SNAP to import Sentinel 2A samples.

Perhaps we are missing something but the latest version of SNAP 2.0-beta-06 does not open Sentinel-2 data. Here is the error message that we receive when trying to open the .xml file in the SAFE folder

Are we missing something? Is there a conflict with BEAM VISAT that we have installed? It seems crazy that this Sentinel Toolbox cannot even open the Sentinel data.
Here’s the log file messages.log (41.1 KB)

Hello @Tanemahuta

During installation you are asked which modules you want to install, in addition to SNAP. You can choose between S1/S2/S3 toolbox and Radarsat2 toolbox.
Be sure you have selected S2 Toolbox at this step if you want to open S2 products.

The log file suggests you only installed the core SNAP application, without the specific toolboxes.

As to BEAM VISAT, there should not be any conflict.

Ok, I will update the SNAP installer so that it becomes clear that you need to install the Sentinel-N Toolbox in order to read Sentinel-N data products.
– Norman

Hi Norman,

How about updating the “No appropriate reader found” error message and suggest going to Tools->Plugins to install new toolboxes ?

Tried uninstalling everything and running a new install - this time choosing only the Sentinel-2 toolbox and not S-1 and S-3 as I had done previously. Same problem!!
Could it be an issue with our firewall not downloading the S-2 toolbox as part of the install process?

Tools->Plugins revealed no S-2 Toolbox.
Check for Newest Plugins gave a warning about the proxy so I reset the proxy using the manual setting rather than automatic detection. Now the check for plugins seems to work but no plugins are listed for installation.
The four installed are TestING, RCP Platform, SNAP Desktop Rich Client Platform and SNAP Engine Kit Module.

The S-2 Toolbox is not yet listed in the plugin dialog because its repository is not yet known.
You can add the repository manually.
Open the plugin dialog and go to the ‘Settings’ tab. click on ‘Add’ in the lower right.
Name: Sentinel-2 Toolbox Update Center
Check for updates automatically: true
URL: http://step.esa.int/updatecenter/2.0/s2tbx/updates.xml.gz

After you have added this repository the S-2Toolbox should be listed in the ‘Available Plugins’ tab.

Problem solved :smile: Many thanks. Are there similar repositories for S-1 and S-3?

Yes, just exchange s2tbx by s1tbx respectively s3tbx in the url.
The repository structure will be changed for the next beta release.Then
the Toolboxes will be shown right away within the plugin dialog.

Dear all,

I’m not able to open a S2 L1C with SNAP tool.
Does anyone can share an available product in order to try it?

Thanks in advance,
Monica

Dear Monica,

Sentinel-2 product can be downloaded form the Sentinel Data Hub: https://scihub.esa.int/dhus/

Could you tell us a a bit more about your problem: from what OS are you running SNAP, which product are you using?

Thanks.

Dear Nicolas,

thanks for your prompt answer.
After checking an online product from ESA Science Hub, I understood there was a problem with my data sets.
SNAP works correctly.

Cheers,
Monica