Java heap errors when BackGeoCoding certain specific S1B products via GPT

I encountered similar problems when I updated my SNAP5 to 5.0.4. If I used 5.0 everything seems fine. Did you update your SNAP to the lastest version too? You could try to uninstall the current version and reinstall the older version (for example 5.0).

Hi Yul,

thanks for thinking along and making your suggestion. Unfortunately, running the example scripts above using the 5.0.0 version does not remove the observed issue of NaN patches.

Sven.

Did you try with all the updates installed for 5.0.0?

Yes, the images above showing the issue were generated with version 5.0.4 and additionally we also tried using a checked-out version of the current the master branch leading to exactly the same results.

Sven.

Hi All,

The problem was caused by the No-Data Value setting in the source product. Basically, after opening a product in the SNAP and right clicking on the source band and selecting Properties, you will see that the No-Data Value Used checkbox is selected and the No-Data Value is set to 0.0. That means all pixels (valid or not) with pixel values being 0.0 will be treated as No-Data Value and their values will not be used in the later on processing and that causes all kinds of problems. Therefore, you should always deselect the “No-Data Value Used” option in the band Properties before starting your processing. By doing so, the problem reported above should not happen.

Jun

1 Like

Hi Junlu,

thanks for your investigations and proposed solution. However, we never open our products via the SNAP GUI. Our processing is fully automated using the GPT running on graph-files like provided above. Consequently, your solution involving right-clicking on the band and deselecting that option does not apply to our situation. In our use-case, where (in which operator) can I set the “No-Data-Value-Used” option in the graph-file?

Sven.

Hi Sven,

We have modified the code so that No-Data Value will not be set to 0.0 by default for S-1 SLC product. Therefore, the problem that you’ve encountered should not happen. We’ve also created a new operator under Raster -> Data Conversion that users can use it to enable or disable the No-Data Value usage and set the No-Data Value. All these fixes should be in SNAP V6.0.

Jun

1 Like

Hi @junlu,

many thanks! We will verify on our side if it completely removes the issues we were experiencing. When is the official release of version 6.0 expected?

Best regards,
Sven.

6.0 official is expected in September - due to the holiday-season it’s impossible to be more precise than this for the moment.

1 Like

Hi Junlu,

I have retried my test-case posted above using the SNAP 6.0 Beta 4 preview. Unfortunately, using that SNAP install the issue remains. Is this as expected or should it have been resolved in this beta preview version? Please advise, should I retry by building the master to verify is it is resolved there?

Sven.

I have just also tried it with a checkout from the current master branch. There the NaN Patches are gone and the issue does seem to be resolved!

Many thanks to @junlu and his team!

1 Like

statas500java.lang.nullpointerexception

It may be that the java is not installed properly on your system. It may also the Internet issue on your system. So, I will suggest you update the update the system and reset it and after that, reinstall JRE and JDK file. You may also check how to reset linksys router if you need any support regarding the Internet.