Opening S2 in Snap 4.0 - error

Hey there,
I have already used S1 data in SNAP successfully.
Now I installed a newer version of SNAP (4.0) and want to open S2 files (the *.xml within the *.SAFE).
I get the following error: ‘java.lang.StackOverflowError’ trying the same on 2 different machines.
Is there anybody who has encountered the same problem? Anybody with a solution?
Thanks a lot
Esther

Have you also installed all module updates?
If you go to Tools --> Plugins in the menu, you can see if there are some available.

Thanks for that hint! Yes I did now but still encounter the same problem.

Is there more exception text available? Maybe if you click on the red top sign at the lower right.

Yes there is:
‘java.lang.StackOverflowError
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.$Proxy45.GetShortPathNameW(Unknown Source)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.Utils.GetShortPathNameW(Utils.java:52)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.Utils.GetIterativeShortPathNameW(Utils.java:86)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.Utils.GetIterativeShortPathNameW(Utils.java:114)’
and then the last row repeated several times.

and if I go into one granule and try to open the xml there from ‘Open Product’, the following error pops up:

‘java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.VirtualDirEx$VirtualDirWrapper.isCompressed(VirtualDirEx.java:381)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.readers.BaseProductReaderPlugIn.getDecodeQualification(BaseProductReaderPlugIn.java:79)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ProductOpener.lambda$getPluginsForFile$153(ProductOpener.java:262)
at java.util.Iterator.forEachRemaining(Unknown Source)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ProductOpener.getPluginsForFile(ProductOpener.java:261)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ProductOpener.openProductFilesCheckOpened(ProductOpener.java:217)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ProductOpener.op’

I remember such problem from an old version. SNAP 3 or so.
Could you try to dele the .snap folder in your user home. and if your on Windows also the directory
{USER_HOME}\AppData\Roaming\SNAP
AppData is by default hidden but you can enter it by directly entering it in the address bar.

Afterwards you need to install the module updates again.

I got it now:
Did as you said, restarted the application. Now restarted the computer and finally found the problem:
I had the data located on a network folder. If I copy it to my local, SNAP works fine.
It’s a pity because working from local makes things complicated. But I guess there must be a solution in the office here, so I don’t want to bother you here.
Thanks a lot for your help! Now I have a completely up-to-date version of the toolbox and am happy about that.
Many greetings, Esther

There is also the path problem on windows. It should not be longer then 250 characters.
But an update is on its way

Now, it also works on the network after renaming the SAFE file to ‘test’. OK, interesting - I will wait for the update.
Thank you, very helpful!

In most cases the majority of the processing time is spent on I/O, which makes reading/writing from a network-drive usually a bad idea. This is also why a SSD is a much better choice than a HD for data processing with SNAP…

Thanks for that hint. I will consider it in future use.