Orbit file timeout (March 2021)

I am trying to apply the orbit file to the sentinel 1 image S1A_IW_GRDH_1SDV_20201107T004845_20201107T004910_035135_0419CB_26E3
using snappy in python.

parameters = HashMap()
parameters.put(‘Apply-Orbit-File’,True)
apply_orbit_file = GPF.createProduct(‘Apply-Orbit-File’, parameters, product)

I am getting this error. I have already checked the internet access in python and the availability of the orbit file.

Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) due to Connection timed out (Connection timed out)
P.S I am getting the same error for other sentinel files.

4 Likes

Got the same one using Apply-Orbit-File operator:

A problem occurred during the target product initialisation.
Type: OperatorException
Message: Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) due to Connection timed out (Connection timed out)

Looks like something happened with qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/.

Hey,

got snappy working. now just trying to do some simple processing. Applying the orbit file takes forever. I keep eventually just cancelling it, which returns the error at the line where I createProduct for the orbit files:

RuntimeError: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) due to Connection timed out (Connection timed out)

The code:

input_files = sorted(list(iglob(join(ppath, '**', '*S1*.zip'), recursive = True)))

for i in input_files: 
    read = snappy.ProductIO.readProduct(i)

parameters = snappy.HashMap()
parameters.put('Apply-Orbit-File', True)
apply_orbit = snappy.GPF.createProduct('Apply-Orbit-File', parameters, read)

What’s up? Is the site maybe just down for maintenance or does it look like I’m doing something wrong?

It seems the site is down at the moment.
Maybe @ABraun, @lveci or @mengdahl know more.

I merged all questions on this here - seems to be a systematic error. But I don’t know its source.

2 Likes

Are there any workarounds we can do to get orbit files until the server is back up? I’m not sure how to specify an external orbit file using gpt and haven’t found any examples on the forums. Any tips/advice are much appreciated.

Update: I just found this Apply-Orbit-File Error

But I’m not sure what to do with the .zip files. Do I just download them to the folder or do I need to only download and unzip the specific orbit files for my scenes? Where do I put them in the POEORB folder? Are there any docs on the use of orbit files?

Also I just found this which references that docker uses should download external files and place them in folders before running, while also disabling any options that download these files: Snap 7 hangs on macos

Is there a guide for users that want to automate processing on which download flags to disable? and where exactly external files should be placed and in what format? I’ve only found answers on these forums so far and the tutorials on the SNAP website for using gpt seem sparse.

Hey,

got snappy working. now just trying to do some simple processing. Applying the orbit file takes forever. I keep eventually just cancelling it, which returns the error at the line where I createProduct for the orbit files:

RuntimeError: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) due to Connection timed out (Connection timed out)

The code:

input_files = sorted(list(iglob(join(ppath, '**', '*S1*.zip'), recursive = True)))

for i in input_files: 
    read = snappy.ProductIO.readProduct(i)

parameters = snappy.HashMap()
parameters.put('Apply-Orbit-File', True)
apply_orbit = snappy.GPF.createProduct('Apply-Orbit-File', parameters, read)

What’s up? Is the site maybe just down for maintenance or does it look like I’m doing something wrong?

Why SNAP v8.0 tries still to download the Sentinel-1 POEORB from qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int instead of the url set in the snap.aux.properties?

OrbitFiles.sentinel1POEOrbitPath = {AuxDataPath}/Orbits/Sentinel-1/POEORB OrbitFiles.sentinel1RESOrbitPath = {AuxDataPath}/Orbits/Sentinel-1/RESORB
OrbitFiles.sentinel1POEOrbit_remotePath = http://step.esa.int/auxdata/orbits/Sentinel-1/POEORB/
OrbitFiles.sentinel1RESOrbit_remotePath = http://step.esa.int/auxdata/orbits/Sentinel-1/RESORB/

Today exacty now the qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int is down but the back up aux.sentinel1.eo.esa.int is up and running as well as the step server … however SNAP only tries to download from qc.sentinel1 website which failed today.

####################################################################
ERROR MESSAGE:
Exception calling QC Rest API: Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out)
WARNING: org.esa.s1tbx.sar.gpf.orbits.ApplyOrbitFileOp: Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out)
Exception calling QC Rest API: Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out)
Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) due to Connection timed out (Connection timed out)
done.

Error: [NodeId: Apply-Orbit-File] Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed: Connection timed out (Connection timed out) due to Connection timed out (Connection timed out)
#################################################################

Can this please be quickly fixed? @marpet, @jun_lu, @lveci? @mengdahl

2 Likes

OMG I’m trying it too right now and fails all the time…

Error: [NodeId: Apply-Orbit-File] Connect to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int:443 [qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/131.176.235.71] failed

Gotta do calculations for tomorrow morning (and now it’s midnight by me…)

I’m also having this issue

Something seems to be broken at the moment, we have more cases here: Orbit file timeout in python despite internet access

It is not broken but the operator pointed to qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int that yesterday was unreachable

However the snap.aux.properties configured to the step server the operator tries to get the files from the original source

If they correct the operator to use the url from the snap.aux.properties file all should be fine

But why isn’t this the case right now?

By the way,
updating Snap v. 8.0 to v. 8.0.3 takes much more time than it used to be.
It might be related?

maybe @lveci or @jun_lu have an idea about this?

The quickest fix is to call the maintainers of the qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int and ask them to put it on! or to change the aux.sentinel1.eo.esa.int url

Can anybody do this? @mengdahl ?

I believe that fix it from SNAP side it will need more time.

Just checked that SNAP v6.0 works taking the orbits from STEP server.
So I will stick to it!

Please let me know when this is solved so I will re-install SNAP 8 in my computer

1 Like

I’m investigating why the QC-website is down. Nevertheless SNAP should use the backup repositories when this happens @lveci

1 Like

I am also having this problem (I am using SNAP 6.0). It started on February 26 (example error message below from snappy), and on February 28 it changed to a “connect timed out” error.

RuntimeError: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: No valid orbit file found for 26-FEB-2021 11:41:06.165250
Orbit files may be downloaded from https://qc.sentinel1.eo.esa.int/
and placed in .snap/auxdata/Orbits/Sentinel-1/POEORB/S1B/2021/02

I used SNAP 6 as @mdelgado suggested and it worked.
4 hours ago.

1 Like

Precise orbits take about 20 days from acquisition to be available. For almost all practical purposes including InSAR-processing the restituted orbits (RESORB) are good enough.