S1TBX radiometric calibration no longer absolute

Since SNAP v2 beta 06, the calibrated beta nought images produced appear no longer to be properly absolutely calibrated. Whereas before gamma or beta nought images typically were in a range approx. from -25 to +5 dB, they are now skewed about 30dB to the positive side. This is true if one uses the dB generation in the tool directly (Linear to/from dB), or if one calculates 10*log10(DN) in the band maths.

Do others concur that the radiometric calibration has lost its proper absolute reference?

Yes, I reported this in Striping after terrain flattening.

This looks like a serious issue to me. Are we overwhelming the STEP forum response capacity??

Ah, sorry I missed that - I guess I had attributed it to a script-specific issue. But it seems to affect any radiometric calibration carried out - also just directly from the menu.

The calibration issue should be fixed now in beta7

Yes, the general >30dB absolute radiometric calibration offset appears to be fixed in SNAP v2 beta 07. Tested on Mac, Linux, Windows.

Image SLC with polarisation VH VV
S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150429T155928_20150429T155958_005700_007514_CA69

TOPS Split IW3 (VH,VV) —> Apply Orbit File (Sentinel Precise) -----> TOPS Deburst -----> Radiometric Calibrate

And convert Sigma0_IW3_VV from linear to db

We can observe from the histogram that there ara values less than -30 db, shown in the image and zoom in red point.

Image SLC with polarisation VH VV
S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150429T155928_20150429T155958_005700_007514_CA69

TOPS Split IW3 (VH,VV) —> Apply Orbit File (Sentinel Restituded) -----> TOPS Deburst -----> Radiometric Calibrate

And convert Sigma0_IW1_VV from linear to db

We can observe from the histogram that there ara values less than -30 db, shown in the image and zoom in red point, and values greater than +6db in green point.

How many time you will have somes news about fixing this problem in the next beta version ? or give the modification to modify beta6 and rebuild the stbx1.

Thanks
Best Regards

In beta 06 there was a block shift of over 30dB that applied to the whole histogram. That has been fixed in beta 07. Due to speckle, with properly calibrated data you should expect to see a wider distribution of possible values (outside of -25dB to +5dB) when you zoom into full resolution in an SLC.