S2 coverage (past & future)

Hi,

Is there any easy way to retrieve the number of times that each tile has been ingested in the Sentinel scientific data hub without having to query multiple times the API? Is there for instance a bulk metadata file available similar to Landsat?

Is there perhaps also a orbit file available showing the positions of the different orbits?

Thanks

Maybe this helps:
https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/missions/sentinel-2/acquisition-plans

Or this one

1 Like

Hi rubdvk,

If your AOI is within a single Tile, you can query the OpenHub using the date range from the start of the mission:

My search - up to today’s date - returned 98 products of Tile 30UVA.

You can also refine search the catalogue by entering the processing baseline version in the search box. I have used the 02.04 in this instance, and my results have reduced from 98 to 49 for 30UVA:

To find the coverage over your AOI, the best thing to use is the Acqusition Plan KML from the Sentinel Online website

https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/missions/sentinel-2/acquisition-plans

Cheers

Jan

S2 MPC/CC Operations Manager

1 Like

Thanks Jan,

and how about if you want to do this global for all possible tiles? Is querying the API multiple times (to avoid the 100 rows max) the only solution or is there somewhere a global updated metadata file available

Best regards,
Ruben

Hi Ruben,

If there is such a file, then I’m afraid it’s not know to me. I presume - and don’t quote me on this - the only people to have that sort of information to hand are those responsible for the management of the online catalogues (so ESA, Google, Amazon AWS etc…). It sounds like one of the core functions of a database.

Sorry.

Cheers

Jan

You might use my little tool peps_download.py to download data from PEPS (French Sentinel mirror site).
On linux, you would have to use two command lines, one for each different product format, which, in PEPS are stored in two different collections, namely, “S2” and “S2ST” (for single tiles).

Using the -n option queries the catalog, but does not download the product.

python ./peps_download.py --lon 1 --lat 44 -a hagolle.txt -d 2015-06-23 -c S2 -n | grep MSIL1C |wc -l

python ./peps_download.py --lon 1 --lat 44 -a hagolle.txt -d 2015-06-23 -c S2ST -n | grep MSIL1C |wc -l

So other Toulouse (–lon 1 --lat 44) , there are 192+19 products so far. Both commands only take about 10 seconds. If you remove "|wc -l|, you get the list of product names.

Best regards,
Olivier

1 Like

Thanks Olivier,

Your tool works flawless, however is there perhaps an easy way to specify the tilename in the old products (not the S2ST)? Thing is that in the meantime I’ve found that the google mirror provides such a bulk metadata file which seems to be updated daily based on the products they ingest : https://storage.googleapis.com/gcp-public-data-sentinel-2/index.csv.gz

See below for the resulting 2016 image. The colorscale is a bit misleading as for instance for tile 25XDJ (north Greenland) this gave 594 different products due to the overlapping orbits at the poles. When specifying the lon/lat coordinates in the peps tools however for verification, multiple tiles are selected

Thanks,
Ruben

2 Likes

My 0-10 in the legend should also be 1-10 …

OK, google wins :wink: Thanks for sharing that link

Hi @Jan . Is it possible to subscribe to the acquisition plan .kml files? Or is the only way to fetch the information to download each file from the url you provided?

Thanks in advance

@evgyrt
Hi. Sorry… I’ve been on holiday.
Unfortunately, I believe the Sentinel Online site is the only place to get the KML.

Cheers

Jan

OK,
Thank you for your reply.

I have made a Python script for harvesting the most recent acquisition plans for both Sentinel-1 and Sentinel-2 by parsing the content in the respective websites at Sentinel Online. The harvester stores the .kml file(s) to wherever you want on your computer.

If someone is interested, the script is found here:

The script also allows for filtering out swaths within on your Area of Interest.

Best Regards Trygve

3 Likes