S2 image quality prior to 3 dec 2015

Hi!

I’m interested in the S2A images for the tile 33UUB in 2015. The data hub has the images from the commissioning phase but I’m not sure if the have been corrected or reprocessed. I guess images after 3 december 2015 (IOCR + 6 weeks https://earth.esa.int/web/sentinel/missions/sentinel-2/operations-ramp-up-phase) are okay

Hello MCG,

According to my search on the Catalogue, there are 24 products processed in 2015 over your AOI. All of these are in the previous Naming Convention. They are processed in a number of versions of the Processing Baseline - from 02.01 through to the current version of the processor 02.04.

02.01 was introduced on 15 December 2015 to correct an issue with the Tiling Grid configuration file
02.02 was introduced on 03 May 2016 to correct an issue identified in which anomalous pixels with incorrect value are present in the overlap of datastrips. This occured in only a few products.
02.04 was introduced on 15 June 2016.

Thus, all products available are processed to a minimum of Baseline 02.01. Therefore there should be no issues in radiometry or geometry with the products prior to 3rd of December 2015.

Cheers

Jan

S2 MPC/CC Operations Manager

1 Like

Hi Jan,

Thank you for your detailed answer. Just want to add another aspect

Does it mean that images processed under baseline 2.01/2.02/2.03 are not as correct as the ones processed under 2.04. If an image is processed under 2.02 and not 2.04 does it means that the anomalies corrected by the last processing baseline are not present in that image.

Miguel

Hi Miguel,

I’m sorry, but it’s not clear to me what you mean when you say “not as correct”. Certainly, the incrementing of the versions of the Baseline arises as a result of the policy of continual monitoring and improvement, so going by that yardstick, 02.04 is “better” thatn the previous versions, but the improvement between these versions is very specific:

02.01 was introduced to correct an issue south of the Equator, and so does not impact your AOI. But products affected by this issue have been reprocessed with 02.04.

The issue that resulted in 02.02 was minor, and again - as it occured in an area of overlapping Datastrips - it has not been identified as affecting your AOI.

02.04 is the current version of the processor.

All these versions can be considered consistent for radiometry; i.e. they all meet the exacting criteria laid down in the Mission Requirements Document (MRD). The response of the instrument it is contantly monitored by experts to ensure that it meets - or exceeds - the specifications laid down by ESA.

I hope this clarifies stuff for you. More information can be found in the Data Quality Report in the Sentinel-2 Document Library here:

https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/user-guides/sentinel-2-msi/document-library

Cheers

Jan

1 Like

Hi Jan,

I think now it is clear for me. Thanks for your help again.

Cheers
Miguel

1 Like