TOPSAR-Deburst Error

Hi All,

I am using snap beta 2.08 to process some L1 S1A data. I do have succeeded to run all the steps smoothly for some pairs. But for some of pairs, it failed during the step of TOPSAR-Deburst with error message as below:

TOPSAR-Deburst: -1
org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: TOPSAR-Deburst: -1
at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.OperatorUtils.catchOperatorException(OperatorUtils.java:386)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.initialize(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:151)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.initializeOperator(OperatorContext.java:499)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getTargetProduct(OperatorContext.java:278)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.Operator.getTargetProduct(Operator.java:357)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.runOperator(CommandLineTool.java:269)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.runGraphOrOperator(CommandLineTool.java:247)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.run(CommandLineTool.java:151)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.CommandLineTool.run(CommandLineTool.java:123)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.GPT.run(GPT.java:54)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.main.GPT.main(GPT.java:34)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
at org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher.lambda$run$12(Launcher.java:55)
at org.esa.snap.runtime.Engine.runClientCode(Engine.java:186)
at org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:51)
at org.esa.snap.runtime.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:31)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:497)
at com.exe4j.runtime.LauncherEngine.launch(LauncherEngine.java:62)
at com.install4j.runtime.launcher.UnixLauncher.main(UnixLauncher.java:57)

Error: TOPSAR-Deburst: -1

Does anyone have idea what it is so? Thank you,
Kang

Can you be more specific on the products used and the processing steps applied? This will help us debug the problem. Thanks!

There are several pairs that failed. One of them starts the products of:
S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150702T122120_20150702T122148_006632_008D92_888D.zip
and
S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150714T122121_20150714T122148_006807_00928A_DCBE.zip

The Operators I applied to them are:
Apply-Orbit-File —> TOPSAR-Split---->Back-Geocoding—>Interferogram—>TOPSAR-Deburst

The process failed at the step of TOPSAR-Deburst.

Another question I have is for the alignment of the two scenes, do I need to apply the Range-Shift and Azimuth-Shift after the Back-Geocoding?

Thank you.

There are several other paris having this issue two. For instance:

S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150527T122144_20150527T122212_006107_007EC5_1647.zip
and
S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150608T122145_20150608T122213_006282_0083C5_9144.zip

Any comments and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

The version of the toolbox I used is SNAP beta 2.08. The steps and commands I applied are as below. For some pairs, it worked find, for some, it failed during the step of TOPSAR-Deburst.

#!/bin/bash

file1=S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150702T122120_20150702T122148_006632_008D92_888D.zip
file2=S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150714T122121_20150714T122148_006807_00928A_DCBE.zip

date1=echo $file1 |cut -c 18-32
date2=echo $file2 |cut -c 18-32

echo "First Acquisition : " $date1
echo "Second Acquisition : " $date2
dir0=pwd

dir_this_pair=$dir0"/intf_"$date1"_"$date2

echo “Apply-Orbit-File started on " date
gpt Apply-Orbit-File -PorbitType=“Sentinel Precise (Auto Download)” $dir0”/"$file1 -t $dir_this_pair"/"$date1"_orbit"
gpt Apply-Orbit-File -PorbitType=“Sentinel Precise (Auto Download)” $dir0"/"$file2 -t $dir_this_pair"/"$date2"_orbit"
echo "Apply-Orbit-File on finished " date

echo “TOPSAR-Split for " $date1 “started on "date
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair”/”$date1"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW1 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW1$date1
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date1"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW2 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW2$date1
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date1"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW3 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3$date1
echo "TOPSAR-Split for " $date1 "finished on "date

echo “TOPSAR-Split for " $date2 “started on "date
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair”/”$date2"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW1 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW1$date2
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date2"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW2 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW2$date2
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date2"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW3 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3$date2
echo "TOPSAR-Split for " $date2 "finished on "date

echo “Back-Geocoding started on "date
gpt Back-Geocoding $dir_this_pair”/“IW1_$date1”.dim" $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_$date2”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_coreg -PoutputDerampDemodPhase=true
gpt Back-Geocoding $dir_this_pair”/“IW2_$date1”.dim" $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_$date2”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_coreg -PoutputDerampDemodPhase=true
gpt Back-Geocoding $dir_this_pair”/“IW3_$date1”.dim" $dir_this_pair"/“IW3_$date2”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3_coreg -PoutputDerampDemodPhase=true
echo "Back-Geocoding finished on "date

echo “Interferogram started on "date
gpt Interferogram -SsourceProduct=$dir_this_pair”/“IW1_coreg”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_intf
gpt Interferogram -SsourceProduct=$dir_this_pair”/“IW2_coreg”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_intf
gpt Interferogram -SsourceProduct=$dir_this_pair”/“IW3_coreg”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3_intf
echo "Interferogram finished on "date

echo “TOPSAR-Deburst started on "date
gpt TOPSAR-Deburst -Ssource=$dir_this_pair”/“IW1_intf”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_deburst
gpt TOPSAR-Deburst -Ssource=$dir_this_pair”/“IW2_intf”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_deburst
gpt TOPSAR-Deburst -Ssource=$dir_this_pair”/“IW3_intf”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3_deburst
echo "TOPSAR-Deburst finished on "date

To be more specific, I used the command line with gpt of SNAP Beta 2.08. The steps and commands I applied are as below. For some pairs, it works fine, while for the pair showing below, it failed during the step of TOPSAR-Deburst. Hope it would be figured out why and fixed. Thank you.

#!/bin/bash

file1=S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150702T122120_20150702T122148_006632_008D92_888D.zip
file2=S1A_IW_SLC__1SSV_20150714T122121_20150714T122148_006807_00928A_DCBE.zip

date1=echo $file1 |cut -c 18-32
date2=echo $file2 |cut -c 18-32

echo "First Acquisition : " $date1
echo "Second Acquisition : " $date2
dir0=pwd

dir_this_pair=$dir0"/intf_"$date1"_"$date2

echo “Apply-Orbit-File started on " date
gpt Apply-Orbit-File -PorbitType=“Sentinel Precise (Auto Download)” $dir0”/"$file1 -t $dir_this_pair"/"$date1"_orbit"
gpt Apply-Orbit-File -PorbitType=“Sentinel Precise (Auto Download)” $dir0"/"$file2 -t $dir_this_pair"/"$date2"_orbit"
echo "Apply-Orbit-File on finished " date

echo “TOPSAR-Split for " $date1 “started on "date
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair”/”$date1"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW1 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW1$date1
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date1"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW2 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW2$date1
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date1"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW3 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3$date1
echo "TOPSAR-Split for " $date1 "finished on "date

echo “TOPSAR-Split for " $date2 “started on "date
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair”/”$date2"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW1 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW1$date2
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date2"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW2 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW2$date2
gpt TOPSAR-Split $dir_this_pair"/"$date2"orbit.dim" -Psubswath=IW3 -PselectedPolarisations=VV,HH -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3$date2
echo "TOPSAR-Split for " $date2 "finished on "date

echo “Back-Geocoding started on "date
gpt Back-Geocoding $dir_this_pair”/“IW1_$date1”.dim" $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_$date2”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_coreg -PoutputDerampDemodPhase=true
gpt Back-Geocoding $dir_this_pair”/“IW2_$date1”.dim" $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_$date2”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_coreg -PoutputDerampDemodPhase=true
gpt Back-Geocoding $dir_this_pair”/“IW3_$date1”.dim" $dir_this_pair"/“IW3_$date2”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3_coreg -PoutputDerampDemodPhase=true
echo "Back-Geocoding finished on "date

echo “Interferogram started on "date
gpt Interferogram -SsourceProduct=$dir_this_pair”/“IW1_coreg”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_intf
gpt Interferogram -SsourceProduct=$dir_this_pair”/“IW2_coreg”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_intf
gpt Interferogram -SsourceProduct=$dir_this_pair”/“IW3_coreg”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3_intf
echo "Interferogram finished on "date

echo “TOPSAR-Deburst started on "date
gpt TOPSAR-Deburst -Ssource=$dir_this_pair”/“IW1_intf”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW1_deburst
gpt TOPSAR-Deburst -Ssource=$dir_this_pair”/“IW2_intf”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/“IW2_deburst
gpt TOPSAR-Deburst -Ssource=$dir_this_pair”/“IW3_intf”.dim" -t $dir_this_pair"/"IW3_deburst
echo "TOPSAR-Deburst finished on "date

I am also facing the same problem while processing TOPSAR deburst function. Did you solved the problem?

Have you tried with the 2.0 non-beta version?

NO. I tried both SNAP beta 2.08 and 2.0, but with no luck.

Sir For the above area of botswana i have calculated deformation by using the following procedure
S1 TOPS coregistration with ESD
2. Deburst and Subset
3. Interferogram Formation
4. Topographic Phase Removal
5. Goldstein Phase Filtering
6. Snaphu Export
7. Unwrap via Snaphu
8. Snaphu import
9. Phase to Displacement
10. Range - Doppler Terrain Correction
First for total tile than for a small subset of area of interest
for particular coordinates, I am getting different displacement for subset and different for whole area
attached pictures
Figure: 1 is subset and
Figure : 2 Total area

InSAR-measurements are relative, not absolute. Check the difference beteen two pins and it should stay the same.