Unable to find VV and VH

Hi seniors!

I am a new student who just started to use SNAP and have been experiencing some abnormalities. I am using Sentinel 1 products and could not find Amplitude VV and VH in the bands folder. Also, sometimes the images are mirrored without doing anything. I attached screen capture of product explorer tab as follows.

Thank you in advance.

Amplitude and Intensity are mathematically related (A * A = I), so it is still in your data. I don’t think you need to have it as a separate band, but if you want to see and compare, you can select Raster > Conversion > Amplitude from Intensity

The orientation of your images depend on their acquisition (ascending or descending pass)

1 Like

Thank you very much for your reply, admin. Yes, I need that amplitude VV and VH bands for extracting water surface as in the tutorials attached.

I am not sure what happened but the images are not properly showing when I clicked the bands.

Also for the amplitude band.

This did not happen before, I can see amplitude bands only when I open the zip files into the app which I will have to use directly for image processing. I think something is off here with those strips too. And for the orientation, it is fixed and cannot be changed as it is based on mode of acquisition?

Your suggestions are highly appreciated.

And for some products, I cannot even find bands. I do not know if the way I fetched data products is something to do with that?

you are mixing up the product levels

RAW is not usable in SNAP
SLC is complex data (for interferometry or polarimetry)
GRD data contains Amplitude and Intensity as you need it

please have a look here: https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/missions/sentinel-1/data-products

1 Like