How to apply user defined operation on multiple cropped sentinel-2 images using gpt script?

Correct me if I am wrong, but the calibration procedure is done before calculating TOA reflectances. I do not think you need to apply those factors to the L1C product.

thank you so much. I am not sure it is right or not.

But my supervisor ask me to do vicarious calibration. and also Nima Pahlevan’s paper also did it. so why I try to do it. any way, thanks a lot.

Best

Binbin

2017 Pah Sentinel-2 MultiSpectral Instrument (MSI) data processing for aquatic science applications_ Demonstrations and validations _ Elsevier Enhanced Reader.pdf (1.3 MB)

@Jan Is this calibration necessary or advisable?

In the Pahlevan’s paper they do a vicarious calibration to the L2 data (Rrs), and you are trying to apply factors to the L1C (TOA reflectances).

1 Like

yes you are right. here is the other one for L1C (TOA reflectances) calibration.

Best

Binbin

2019 Pah Sentinel-2_Landsat-8 product consistency and implications for monitoring aquatic systems _ Elsevier Enhanced Reader (3).pdf (753.4 KB)

Dear marpet,

the other atmospheric correction like (seaDAS polymer acolite), they could setup the vrcarious calibration. so did SNAP has any setup? or use “BandMath”? thanks

Best

Binbin

Hello
II’m sorry @marpet - I didn’t see your request.

Vicarious calibration of Sentinel-2 is undertaken as part of the monitoring activities of the Mission. It is carried out by ESL (Expert Support Labs) that report every week to ESA on the status of the instrument. The radiometric calibration of the instruments is undertaken monthly, and lead to the release of updated Absolute Calibration and On Ground Equalisation GIPPs that are assimilated into PDGS processing every month (we will be releasing the April GIPPs shortly, for entry into production on Tuesday morning).

Thus, the instruments are already calibrated prior to production of data.

More on the calibration of the instrument can be found here https://sentinels.copernicus.eu/web/sentinel/technical-guides/sentinel-2-msi/calibration and the status of the Cal/Val is reported in the Sentinel-2 L1C Data Quality Report

Cheers

Jan

S2 MPC Operations Manager

2 Likes

Thanks @Jan. That’s what I had in mind, but wasn’t sure.

Dear marpet,

is that means I should not calibration again with Nima’s paper or 2020 report? is that right? thanks

Best

Binbin

Yes, you do not need to calibrate the data, because they are regularly calibrated.

Dear marpet,

our cluster changed. so now we use the SLURM workload manager. The code run very well ago. but now it get the error, detail below. Could you give me a hand? thanks

Best

Binbin

out1.txt (6.9 KB)
when err1.txt (2.1 MB)

This sounds like the process does not have write privileges to /home/bjiang/.snap/product-library.
But I don’t know your system and can’t tell you what’s wrong.
Maybe @oana_hogoiu has an idea what could be wrong.

From the logs you povided it seems that /home/bjiang/.snap is read-only, and this is causing several crashes:

SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: /home/bjiang/.snap/auxdata/tool-adapters: Read-only file system
SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Cannot create user folder for external tool adapter extensions
SEVERE: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.operators.tooladapter.ToolAdapterIO: Failed to scan /home/bjiang/.snap/auxdata/tool-adapters [reason: /home/bjiang/.snap/auxdata/tool-adapters]
SEVERE: org.esa.snap.lib.openjpeg.activator.OpenJPEGInstaller: OpenJPEG configuration error: failed to create /home/bjiang/.snap/auxdata/openjpeg/8.0.0
SEVERE: org.esa.snap.dataio.netcdf.NetCdfActivator: Native libraries for NetCDF could not be extracted to/home/bjiang/.snap/auxdata/netcdf_natives/8.0.0
org.h2.message.DbException: Log file error: “/home/bjiang/.snap/product-library/products.trace.db”, cause: “org.h2.message.DbException: Error while creating file “”/home/bjiang/.snap/product-library”" [90062-197]" [90034-197]
at org.h2.message.DbException.get(DbException.java:168)

Are you running SNAP using sudo?

Dear oana_hogoiu,

when i install “SNAP” software, the error :“an instance of the program cannot access specified user directory. This is a serious problem that prevent the program to function properly. make sure home/bjiang/.snap/system is writable. click ok to continue in spite of previous error”. thanks. it looks like not install successful. Could you help me ?

Best

Binbin

Dear oana_hogoiu,

i try sudo, but i am not sudoer. what should i do next? thanks

Best

Binbin

[bjiang@katahdin bin]$ sudo ./snap
[sudo] password for bjiang:
bjiang is not in the sudoers file. This incident will be reported.

In the other thread you said you are sudoer.

Maybe you talk to your system administrator. Maybe they can correct the write permission for the directory.

1 Like

Dear marpet,

actually, i am not sudo. But when i ask for my system administrator. They can not work any more.
thanks

Best

Binbin

Dear marpet,

my system administrator said it is not the permission issue. In the cephfs filesystem, “.snap” is special directory. Could i change the directory “./snap” when i install SNAP software? thanks

Best

Binbin

the detail below

"
As I’ve explained before, it’s not really a permission issue, you just can’t use the .snap directory. That’s why I suggested asking the developers how to use a different directory. Often when installing software, there are configuration options that can be tweaked. In the cephfs filesystem, .snap is a special directory and I don’t know of a way to let you use it in that way."

Ah, know I understand. I didn’t expect that you use a special file system which uses ‘.snap’ as a special directory.
CephFS Snapshots — Ceph Documentation

It is possible to change the directory used by SNAP.
You need to change two files. Both are located in <snap_installation_dir>/etc.
In snap.properties you need to change the property snap.userdir.
For example to: snap.userdir=${USER_HOME}/.esa_snap
Don’t forget to remove the ‘#’ at the beginning of the line.

The snap.conf needs to be changed too.
Here change default_userdir="${HOME}/.snap/system"
to default_userdir="${HOME}/.esa_snap/system"

Afterwards it should work.

2 Likes

thanks a lot.

it works.

Best

Binbin

1 Like