Java.lang.NullPointerException (again...)

What has helped to get around the NullPointerException? The information might help the developer to prevent this exception in the future.

I don’t think so. Only areas with high coherence can have good dem quality. Did you check your coherence image?

If I understood it right phase to height generally causes an error and phase to elevation doesn’t.

I did nothing, i just changed my study area. Previous images were of different dates like 13th Oct & 18th Nov but when i changed my study area, i took 15th & 27th January data. Big difference between dates can be a reason. In previous data i was running the process on some subset area but this time i used whole scene. I don’t exactly know what the reason of the error was.

Ya i have checked coherence image and posting a snapshot for you. Please have a look. Actually the problem is typical negative and positive values of elevation. You can see it on the screenshots which i posted yesterday. Some snapshots is posting for your review.

as you see only very few pixels have high coherence. That means information in all other pixels cannot be trusted.

Please read here for an explanation:

Thank you so much for your reply Andreas. Your replies always help me.

Hi @ABraun, thank you very much for your advises. Now i have generated some relevant DEM outout. One more help i need. can you please tell me how can i make smooth DEM from the output?

There are some filters you could try when you right-click a band and select Filter band

Thank you very much once again @ABraun

@ABraun @smohit , the problem Java.lang.NullPointerException the problem is generated using the tool Phase to Elevation ( DEM generation) when use a subset from the image. Must be with all image unwrapped phase.

it’s still a bit strange to me, I tried some other examples based on S1 SLC products and the phase to elevation operator works just fine. Haven’t found out what exactly causes the java error.

Me neither @ABraun, but i also did many tests and always i worked whit subset image, because snaphu process take a lot time. In fact, for all swath of interest took 6 hours to generate unwrapped phase… And the phase to height operator works on S1-Toolbox, since snap software does not do nothing.

Greetings and thanks you @ABraun

unwrapping in snaphu surely takes a lot of time. Sometimes increasing the tile numbers can be favourable.

Hi all,
I´ve been experiencing the same java exception problem while doing Phase to Elevation procedure.
I am using SNAP 5.0.8. on Win7 64bit.
I did experiments with multiple input data and actually couldn´t find a pattern in which circumstances this error appears and in which not.
This case caused mentioned error every time I tried:
Datasets:
S1B_IW_SLC__1SDV_20170309T072134_20170309T072204_004628_00811B_C76D.SAFE
S1B_IW_SLC__1SDV_20170321T072134_20170321T072204_004803_00863A_4D19.SAFE
From both datasets I extracted IW3 Bursts 9 and 10 during Corregistration.
Then I did all the steps in order to compute DEM from those. Everything looked fine until I tried to compute Phase to Elevation.

Interesting thing is that when I did this procedure with IW2 from same radar image pair, Phase to Elev worked just fine.
When I merged IW2 and IW3 prior the interferogram generation, I got again the Java exeption error in the end during Phase to Elevation. It looks, there must be some kind of problem with IW3 part of the image which I don´t understand.

Log:

org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.OperatorUtils.catchOperatorException(OperatorUtils.java:421)
at org.esa.s1tbx.insar.gpf.PhaseToElevationOp.computeTileStack(PhaseToElevationOp.java:336)
at    org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeRect(OperatorImageTileStack.java:116)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImageTileStack.computeTile(OperatorImageTileStack.java:85)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
Caused: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorExecutor$GPFImagingListener.errorOccurred(OperatorExecutor.java:376)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.sendExceptionToListener(SunTileScheduler.java:1646)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:921)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2085)
at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:407)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:393)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:73)
at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(SourcelessOpImage.java:137)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.RequestJob.compute(SunTileScheduler.java:247)
[catch] at com.sun.media.jai.util.WorkerThread.run(SunTileScheduler.java:468)

Many thanks for your suggestions,
Jan

what can i do?

I think @lveci explained very well what you can do

Even i am experiencing the same problem when i use gpt for processing my data.

java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunCachedTile.(SunCachedTile.java:80)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileCache.add(SunTileCache.java:257)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.addTileToCache(OpImage.java:1087)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1142)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.StxFactory.accumulateTile(StxFactory.java:339)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.StxFactory.accumulate(StxFactory.java:323)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.StxFactory.accumulate(StxFactory.java:296)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.StxFactory.create(StxFactory.java:200)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.StxFactory.create(StxFactory.java:274)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.RasterDataNode.computeStxImpl(RasterDataNode.java:2453)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.Band.computeStxImpl(Band.java:504)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.RasterDataNode.getStx(RasterDataNode.java:2420)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.RasterDataNode.createDefaultImageInfo(RasterDataNode.java:1827)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.Band.createDefaultImageInfo(Band.java:483)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.RasterDataNode.getImageInfo(RasterDataNode.java:1809)
at org.esa.snap.core.datamodel.RasterDataNode.getImageInfo(RasterDataNode.java:1792)
at org.esa.snap.core.image.ImageManager.prepareImageInfos(ImageManager.java:834)
at org.esa.snap.core.image.ColoredBandImageMultiLevelSource.create(ColoredBandImageMultiLevelSource.java:51)
at org.esa.snap.core.image.ColoredBandImageMultiLevelSource.create(ColoredBandImageMultiLevelSource.java:47)
at org.esa.snap.core.image.ColoredBandImageMultiLevelSource.create(ColoredBandImageMultiLevelSource.java:41)
at org.esa.snap.ui.product.ProductSceneImage.(ProductSceneImage.java:69)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.window.OpenImageViewAction.createProductSceneImage(OpenImageViewAction.java:271)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.window.OpenImageViewAction.access$100(OpenImageViewAction.java:69)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.window.OpenImageViewAction$1.doInBackground(OpenImageViewAction.java:236)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.window.OpenImageViewAction$1.doInBackground(OpenImageViewAction.java:213)
at com.bc.ceres.swing.progress.ProgressMonitorSwingWorker.doInBackground(ProgressMonitorSwingWorker.java:55)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$1.call(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor.runWorker(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.ThreadPoolExecutor$Worker.run(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Unknown Source)
Caused: java.util.concurrent.ExecutionException
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.report(Unknown Source)
at java.util.concurrent.FutureTask.get(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker.get(Unknown Source)
[catch] at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.window.OpenImageViewAction$1.done(OpenImageViewAction.java:221)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$5.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.swing.AccumulativeRunnable.run(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.SwingWorker$DoSubmitAccumulativeRunnable.actionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer.fireActionPerformed(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.Timer$DoPostEvent.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.event.InvocationEvent.dispatch(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(Unknown Source)
at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(Unknown Source)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(Unknown Source)

Kindly, help me to solve this.

MY gpt xml file : myGraph2.xml (5.5 KB)

Hi everybody.

I’m having the following error:
java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.datamodel.AbstractMetadata.getBandAbsMetadata(AbstractMetadata.java:377)
at org.esa.s1tbx.commons.Sentinel1Utils.getCalibrationVectorList(Sentinel1Utils.java:933)
at org.esa.s1tbx.commons.Sentinel1Utils.getCalibrationPixel(Sentinel1Utils.java:958)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.getMergedPixels(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:670)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.updateCalibrationVector(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:630)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.updateOriginalMetadata(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:570)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.updateTargetProductMetadata(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:415)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.initialize(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:142)
Caused: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException
at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.OperatorUtils.catchOperatorException(OperatorUtils.java:415)
at org.esa.s1tbx.sentinel1.gpf.TOPSARDeburstOp.initialize(TOPSARDeburstOp.java:145)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.initializeOperator(OperatorContext.java:486)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getTargetProduct(OperatorContext.java:273)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.Operator.getTargetProduct(Operator.java:387)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.GPF.createProductNS(GPF.java:330)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.GPF.createProduct(GPF.java:305)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.GPF.createProduct(GPF.java:284)
at org.esa.snap.graphbuilder.rcp.dialogs.SingleOperatorDialog.createTargetProduct(SingleOperatorDialog.java:175)
[catch] at org.esa.snap.graphbuilder.rcp.dialogs.SingleOperatorDialog.onApply(SingleOperatorDialog.java:287)
at org.esa.snap.ui.AbstractDialog.lambda$initUI$6(AbstractDialog.java:519)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6539)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6304)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2239)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4889)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2297)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4904)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4535)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4476)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2283)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2746)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4711)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:760)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:84)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:733)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:74)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:730)
at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:205)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

This error appears in ESA SNAP 7, working in Ubuntu 18.04 and in W10, when I try to do a deburst process in a image downloaded from Creodias. From images downloaded from Copernicus Sci Hub the deburst processing works completely normal. I suspect there is a problem with metadata in Creodias images, but I don’t know.

Thanks for the help.

@kraftek should be able to help you.