java.lang.NullPointerException when opening VIIRS .nc file in SNAP 8.0

Hi everyone!

I’m using the latest version of SNAP (8.0) which seems to fail opening VIIRS level 1B radiance data .nc-files. Panoply seems to have no issue with the files. You can see for yourself here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1a2soY07DY1Mj-5faJM3adEwzR21VGeEe/view?usp=sharing

This is the error message when trying to open or drag/drop the file:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at gov.nasa.gsfc.seadas.dataio.SeadasFileReader.attributeToMetadata(SeadasFileReader.java:1242)
	at gov.nasa.gsfc.seadas.dataio.SeadasFileReader.addAttributeToElement(SeadasFileReader.java:1227)
	at gov.nasa.gsfc.seadas.dataio.SeadasFileReader.addAttributesToElement(SeadasFileReader.java:1221)
	at gov.nasa.gsfc.seadas.dataio.SeadasFileReader.addGlobalMetadata(SeadasFileReader.java:873)
	at gov.nasa.gsfc.seadas.dataio.L1BViirsFileReader.createProduct(L1BViirsFileReader.java:75)
	at gov.nasa.gsfc.seadas.dataio.SeadasProductReader.readProductNodesImpl(SeadasProductReader.java:185)
	at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.AbstractProductReader.readProductNodes(AbstractProductReader.java:178)
	at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.ProductIO.readProduct(ProductIO.java:179)
	at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ReadProductOperation.run(ReadProductOperation.java:61)
	at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
	at org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
	at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)
[catch] at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

This happened on two different machines, one running Windows 10 and another running macOS Catalina (16GB RAM).

I’d be happy to provide further information if necessary. Thank you very much!
-Alex

was previously reported. The problem seems to be associated with a change in the metadata with a new version of the NASA OCSSW processing software.

Glad to see I’m not the only one. Do you know if a fix for this issue is foreseeable? Thanks in any case!