Retriving chlorophyll and turbidity from sentinel data

I tried . for me i adjust temperature and salinity (26 34) in C2RRC and i selected C2X neural . but it processing takes too long around 15hrs…and above mentioned temp , salinity is average of study area shall i enter that value … may i know usually this process how much time will take ?

Have you used the S2 resampling? Try the generic one (Raster / Geometric Operations / Resampling). I guess it will be faster.
To which resolution have your resampled? You can try a coarser resolution.
If you don’t need the uncertainties in the output, disable their computation. This takes also a fair amount of time.
I just did a computation with the generic resampling (to 10 meter) and without uncertainties. The processing finished in less than 70 minutes. The scene was roughly 50% covered by land. My computer is a Intel i7 5th generation 16 GB RAM. Nothing fancy.
The average temperature and salinity value for the area is okay. Maybe adapt them to the season. But as I said earlier, the effect is of minor order.

okay sir i will do as per ur instructions thank you for your kind reply

I got image like this . TSM

second image chl

were the both image tsm and chl concentration are too high i did C2X neural …is the image is correct or not ? and i have some doubt in both image

is any of these parameter (CHL,TSM) is possible to over estimate ?

why i am asking this in that image coast line are having high values

After processing of C2X is possible to convert data format like (geotiff or any format ) I tried covert format to geotiff but it says about limit file size

I saw some algorithms for retriving chlorophyll but they did for S3 OLCI band and that paper have some tsm algorithm R665/R560

for CDOM R665/R490 , R665/R560
for above band are i could visible in C2X final data is possible to get CHL,TSM value by apply band math ?

1 Like

For sentinel 2 L1C product which resample process is suitable for retriving Chlorophyll and TSM In SNAP i could find two option

1-Raster-Geometric operation-Resampling

2-Optical-Geometric-S2 Resample processe

what’s diference between above two tools…

Thank You

There is a significant difference in the resampling of angles layers. When using the C2RCC algorithm I would suggest to use the S2 Resampling Processor.

A quick look of the differences is reported here:

3 Likes

yes i could see the differences … once again Thank You …

Hi,
I am using S2A_MSIL2A product, resampled and subset. Then apply the following Optical \ Thematic Water Processing \ C2RCC Processor\ S2-MSI, but receive an error:
An internal error occurred during the target product initialization
Type: Illegal Agrument Exception

What does the error mean? Is this product MSIL2A compatible with the C2RCC processor?

Hello
For C2RCC you should use the L1C products. C2RCC is doing its own AC.

Regarding the error. It seems the source product is not correctly specified.
It would be good if you post the log file, if you still experience the error.
You can find it by selecting from the menu Help / Show Log Directory. Make sure to reproduce the error first and then attach the messages.log file.

1 Like

OOOOOOOO, thank you !
That was really helpfull!

Hello
I want to estimate the amount of chlorophyll (phytoplankton) in the study area. Do I use the WFR or ٍEFR sentinel-3?

You have to start from Level 1B. So either EFR or ERR products.
In the Level 2 WFR products the chlorophyl is already contained.

1 Like

Thank you sir.
I want to evaluate the amount of chlorophyll a by using Sentinel 2 data for my study area. To assess the results obtained from Sentinel 2 data, I do not have data extracted from the area. Can I use Sentinel 3 WFR or EFR data to evaluate Sentinel 2 results?

I would not suggest it. You should have in-situ data to validate the results.
Comparing the results with the results from pther sensors would only be kind of plauibility check.
And you should not compare C2RCC of Sentinel-2 (S2) with C2RCC of Sentinel-3 (S3). The same approach is used for both and therefor will include the same errors, if any.
In addition the resultion if very different between S2 and S3. Maybe you can find or compute CHL and TSM values from Landsat. But again, better not comparing only with C2RCC results.
You can do a broader comparison. Using multiple sensors and multple algorithms. But at the end you might not know which restul to trust. So having real in-situ data is important.

2 Likes

Thank you sir.
Im Sorry
Does the C2RCC window need insitu data in order to obtain chlorophyll A from the C2RCC algorithm in the Snap software?

No, it only needs the satellite data. But if you want to validate the results you should have in-situ data.

1 Like

thanks a lot.

Hello, Mr Peters
I have 2 ask to you please answer to my questions

1- do for estimate the phytoplankton we must only use Sentinel-2A Level1-C or we can also use Sentinel-2B Level1-C?

2- What hour sentinel-2 will take photograph from Persian Gulf region (minab city)?
Please define to Greenwich time.

Thank you for your partnership.

1. You can use both, S2A and S2B.

2. You can easily find out your self. Go to SciHub and define a region over manib city. Then do a search for S2 L1C. The you can see all the products and the sensing time.
    Beside this way, you can also use dedicated software like ESOV or SAMI

However, it seems that this area is passed at around 7:00

thanks a lot.