Sentinel-3 OLCI TOA reflectance

hi, I’m trying to convert Sentinel-3 OLCI Level1 TOA radiance bands (S3A_OL_1_EFR) to TOA reflectance and export it as GeoTiff (using python and by using SNAP 5.0 GUI) and I have a couple of questions.

1. As I understood from Sentinel-3 user guide, the data per pixel in the spectral bands (of S3A_OL_1_EFR) is TOA radiance. What is the scaling factor used for? because it seems that the data is originally in floating point.

2. I was able to convert the data to TOA reflectance using: optical–>preprocessing–>Radiance to reflectance Processor. Does SNAP uses the formula found here to convert to TOA reflectance?

3. I projected the data using Raster–> Geometric operation–>reprojection. Is there a way to do it using python script? I need to process many Sentinel-3 images and doing it using the GUI is not feasible.

I’m using SNAP 5.0 on win10 machine.

Thanks

Hi,

probably you can find an effective reply to your questions in this thread:

http://forum.step.esa.int/t/best-practice-to-convert-and-reproject-sentinel-3-radiances-to-reflectance/5744

Read carefully what @marpet explains there, you can extend it to your need I think.

Bye

Thanks, I’ll look into it carefully.

However, from what I read so far, I didn’t see explanation for the purpose of the “scale_factor” inherent in each nc file.
I also couldn’t find explanation in the Sentinel-3 user guide.

The original data is not of type float. It is uint6. That’s why it needs to be scaled.

Yes, this is actually mentioned in the help of the processor.

1. I projected the data using Raster–> Geometric operation–>reprojection. Is there a way to do it using python script? I need to process many Sentinel-3 images and doing it using the GUI is not feasible.

Not only via python but also from the command line:
Bulk Processing with GPT
For Python you can have a look here:

Also to the example scripts @antonio19812 provides can be helpful for:

In addition, several samples can be found in the forum