SNAP 8.0 released

How to use the SNAP API from Python says "The supported versions are Python 2.7, 3.3 to 3.6 64-bit (Linux + Darwin) and both 32-bit and 64-bit (Windows) as well as Anaconda distributions. "

A Python 3.6 linux whl file is included with SNAP 8.0 (as well as Windows and macOS):

% jar tf snap/snap/modules/org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar | \\
grep -- -linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp36-cp36m-linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp27-cp27mu-linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp34-cp34m-linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp35-cp35m-linux_x86_64.whl

Ubuntu 18.04 provides Python 3.6. I expect that is a widely used combination, so any serious problems would be known by now even if it hasn’t had the same level of testing as
older Python releases.

Actually you are right. 3.6 should be save to use.
We should update the version in the installer.

Thanks

Is possible use command line for upgrade 7.0 version to 8.0 version?

No, an upgrade is not possible. You need to reinstall. This is possible from the command line.

Install SNAP on the command line - SNAP - SNAP Wiki (atlassian.net)

Hello

As ever, a great tool. Thanks to you all for your efforts. Just one minor point; I receive this error when trying to open products in the old SENTINEL SAFE Format:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The naming convention structure is invalid for input file 'C:\DAGCRepo\S2A_OPER_PRD_MSIL1C_PDMC_20201023T071918_R133_V20201023T042841_20201023T042841.SAFE\GRANULE\S2A_OPER_MSI_L1C_TL_VGS1_20201023T062130_A027872_T46SEE_N02.09\S2A_OPER_MTD_L1C_TL_VGS1_20201023T062130_A027872_T46SEE.xml'
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.metadata.AbstractS2MetadataReader.<init>(AbstractS2MetadataReader.java:33)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.ortho.metadata.AbstractS2OrthoMetadataReader.<init>(AbstractS2OrthoMetadataReader.java:19)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.l1c.metadata.S2L1cProductMetadataReader.<init>(S2L1cProductMetadataReader.java:21)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.l1c.Sentinel2L1CProductReader.buildMetadataReader(Sentinel2L1CProductReader.java:60)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.l1c.Sentinel2L1CProductReader.buildMetadataReader(Sentinel2L1CProductReader.java:45)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.Sentinel2ProductReader.readProductNodesImpl(Sentinel2ProductReader.java:152)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.AbstractProductReader.readProductNodes(AbstractProductReader.java:178)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.ortho.Sentinel2OrthoProductReaderProxy.readProductNodes(Sentinel2OrthoProductReaderProxy.java:84)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.ProductIO.readProduct(ProductIO.java:179)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ReadProductOperation.run(ReadProductOperation.java:61)
at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
at org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)

[catch] at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

Does this mean that SENTINEL SAFE is not supported in SNAP 8.0? I’ve done a cursory check of all QI Reports, and the format and structure of the product seems to be OK.

Cheers

Jan

S2 MP Operations Manager

Does it happen with all products?

Hello Marcus @mengdahl

I have currently checked only the product in my previous post, but I am downloading another product to check. I know that if I select the product in COMPACT_SAFE, I can open it in SNAP.

Cheers

Jan

Dear Jan,
looking at the code (from your error stack trace), I see that this can happen if IMG_DATA or QI_DATA are missing (on the same level with granule metadata S2A_OPER_MTD_L1C_TL_VGS1_20201023T062130_A027872_T46SEE.xml )
Can you check this?

Hi @oana_hogoiu

Crumbs. Thanks. I’ll get back to you on this.

Cheers

Jan

Hello,

I’ve found the issue (it was a local configuration problem in my access software that didn’t present in the COMPACT_SAFE format download). My apologies.

I am very grateful for your support.

Cheers

Jan

2 Likes

In case you miss it…

FYI, we have updated the ESA SNAP 8 docker image accordingly:

1 Like

Hello,

The SBAS processing for time series analysis is still not available in the version 8.0 as anticipated. Will it be soon?

Linux command line module update following the docs with

snap --nosplash --nogui --modules --update-all

goes into infinite loop. First it says updates=102 and then endless lines of this

then this

and then the same all over again. Going on for hours.

I can see from the hang-workaround in the docs that we are waiting for the message updates=0 which indicates the process is done. But it does never seem to reach that?

This is with Debian 9 (Stretch).

@neteler did you perhaps encounter this too when developing your Dockerfile or did you just not try to run the update command?

Well, we build the docker image like this which is different from your approach:

Hello,
I would like to ask you if Landsat-8 collection2 product will be supported in Snap 8.
Thank you

I’m sorry, but the Collection 2 is not supported yet.

Thank you. And do You know if is it planed in future releases of SNAP?

I think it is not yet planned.
@oana_hogoiu, @FlorianD Do you have it on your agenda?