SNAP can't open tiff files

When I try to open tiff files that have been cliped in scp plugin in qgis I receive an error message about java.

Thanks

This problem has been fixed in Geosolutions GeoTiff reader 1.2-SNAPSHOT. We need to update our library and issue an update.

hello! I have some raw images converted to .tif file. But i still cannot read it in SNAP, although i’ve already updated my version. is there any help on this?

what kind of data are you using? For many sensors there is a specific import in SNAP. Conversion to GeoTIFF causes loss of all metadata information which is required for many processing steps.

I am using images taken with a UAV. I have the RAW images, as well as the jpeg. Jpeg images opens fine, but I would like to open the raw images… which I converted to .tif files. Is this possible?

What kind of error message do you get? The same as Faraslis reported?

Since my Sen2Cor doesn’t work I have to do Atmospheric correction in QGIS. But, unfirtunately, my SNAP shows me the same error like Faraslis has when I try do open the files produced by QGIS.

Hello Marpet,

I don’t know if I can write on the old post but I am facing the similar issue. I have a raster saved as ‘tiff’ from ArcGIS. I could not open the file in SNAP. It is not showing any error as I read it but could not load the product. Any help is appreciated.
Thanks…

can you please upload the raster (or a subset) here?

Hello,

Please find the full tiff file here…
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/nuagd7kqjd12hbu/AABgtegvnhG9j7hVmKKyNeBha?dl=0

The file size exeeds 4 GB which is the maximum file size for GeoTiffs.

I cannot open it in SNAP or QGIS either. You can try to compress your data before writing.

Hi,

Thank you. Will try that.
That image is actually mosaic of up sampled DEMs
I wanted to extract the pixels of that image from the masks that are transferred from other images…
Can I get undistorted elevation values if I compress the image?

yes, compression does not change the raster values, but how they are stored.

Oh…Okay…
Thank you…

But you need to take care which type of compression you use. If you use JPEG compression it will affect the values. Maybe in an acceptable way.
But if you want to make sure to keep the original values you should choose a lossless compression. For example LZW.

1 Like

Hi Marpet,

Thanks for that. Certainly I wont go for JPEG as it degrades the image. Can I ask for little more here? If I transfer the mask from 10m resolution SAR raster to compressed DEM raster, (of same area, assuming both are correctly projected) how exactly the mask transfer takes place? Can I get elevation values for each pixel corresponding to pixel on SAR data?

This should be absolutely no problem. It depends on how you do it and on the accuracy of the geo-coding.
If your SAR data has a higher resolution as the DEM, then the elevation values will be repeated. But in the end you should have for each pixel an elevation value.

Thanks a lot :slight_smile: That helps

2 posts were split to a new topic: Differences in SRTM data

Something I came across today. When clipped to a mask layer in QGIS and then opened in SNAP a TIFF file displays pixels as 1 (containing a value) or 0 (no data pixels outside the mask). I think this is because I assigned no data values as -99999. When I clipped and did not assign a no data value the TIFF displays with no problem.