What's the baseline concept in sentinel1 interferometry?

I’m working on sentinel1 interferometry for DEM and DSM generation and I faced with baseline concepts temporarily and spatially. Is there any reference guide to know about it?

Sincerely,

there are useful materials provided by ESA:

Please have a look at documents, especially

• A: chapter 2.1-2.5 Introduction
  • B: chapter 1. Selecting ERS images for InSAR processing
  • C: chapter 1.2.2 Impact of the baseline on coherence

By the way: Why did you not directly continue here where we talked about baselines? Sentinel-1 Interferometric Concepts? It’s not necessary to open a new topic for every question.

1 Like

Thanks a lot.

Sorry I didn’t know we can do like this. I’ll try to ask questions in related pages.

Sincerely,

no problem. It just helps to keep the forum clean and structured.

1 Like

Dear Braun
I’ve read this manual (you mentioned above) and I’ve learned a lot about interferometry so covered all blanks of insar in my mind. However could you introduce a basic book about radar remote sensing? Like textbooks which contains principles for beginners.

Sincerely,

Thank you for your feedback, I am happy to hear that.

From a technical perspective, the works of Ulaby are substantial: Microwave Radar and Radiometric Remote Sensing

Also, the textbook of Richards: Remote Sensing With Imaging Radar

A fanatstic (freely available) e-book with great materials was published last year: SAR Handbook: Comprehensive Methodologies for Forest Monitoring and Biomass Estimation (don’t worry, it is not only about biomass, especially the introduction chapters are probably the best illustrated ones currently available)

For InSAR, the book of Hansen is a very good referenece: Radar Interferometry. Data Interpretation and Error Analysis

1 Like

Thanks to your tips I’m creating foundation of SAR principles in remote sensing. Certainly I will study and share its results.

Sincerely,

Dear @ABraun

I’m studying SAR Handbook and It is very good SAR reference. However I’m gonna know that, what’s the difference between amplitude and intensity in Sentinel-1 GRD data product? And also what about real and imaginary product in SLC format? I’m trying to know the main differences between these images.

Sincerely,

A radar wave consists of the amplitude and the phase information. They are measured in different units:

image source

To store both in a raster product, they are expressed as real and imaginary parts of a complex number.
More information is given here: Imaginary and real parts of interferometry

Intensity is just the square of ampltiude A² = I

1 Like

Thanks for the information!