SNAP 8.0 released

Originally published at: http://step.esa.int/main/snap-8-0-released/

The SNAP development team is pleased to announce a new SNAP release. The different installers for the supported platforms can be downloaded. In this release the development teams worked on general features like remote access of data, data processing, IO performance and the memory management. Also, sensor specific improvements and features have been implemented. Noteworthy…

12 Likes

Thanks to the SNAP development team for the many improvements in this extraordinary year. I just upgraded a Windows 10 system, and saw a couple potential points of confusion:

1. Defender Smartscreen flagged the .exe file as potentially dangerous.

2. the installer’s list of supported Python versions stopped at 3.4, but seems to have succeeded with Python 3.6 (which I have been using with SNAP 7):

INFO: Installing from Java module 'C:\Program Files\snap\snap\modules\org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar'
INFO: Installing jpy...
INFO: Extracting 'lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp36-cp36m-win_amd64.whl' from 'C:\Program Files\snap\snap\modules\org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar'

Hi,

the Defender Warning will go away after a certain number of users have downloaded the installer. I will also report it to Microsoft as safe a source. This might speed it up. For the next release we might get a certificate.
On Mac users might see similar warning.

Yes, snappy also works with 3.6 or even 3.7 but we haven’t tested these version enough to recommend these versions. But most likely it will work.

2 Likes

Thank you for the new version, it looks really good. What is the procedure for the Sen2Cor plugin installation? The plugin doesn’t appear in the available plugins window.

Thank you in advance, Jorge

It will be available in the coming days. It takes some time to maintain all the plugins.
Maybe it will be available already today.

1 Like

Am unable to download the Unix version. Please check

For me it is working. You need to use “Save As” otherwise the content of the install script is shown.

2 Likes

Okay thanks. Thanks works. Downloading now.

1 Like

How to use the SNAP API from Python says "The supported versions are Python 2.7, 3.3 to 3.6 64-bit (Linux + Darwin) and both 32-bit and 64-bit (Windows) as well as Anaconda distributions. "

A Python 3.6 linux whl file is included with SNAP 8.0 (as well as Windows and macOS):

% jar tf snap/snap/modules/org-esa-snap-snap-python.jar | \\
grep -- -linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp36-cp36m-linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp27-cp27mu-linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp34-cp34m-linux_x86_64.whl
lib/jpy-0.9.0-cp35-cp35m-linux_x86_64.whl

Ubuntu 18.04 provides Python 3.6. I expect that is a widely used combination, so any serious problems would be known by now even if it hasn’t had the same level of testing as
older Python releases.

Actually you are right. 3.6 should be save to use.
We should update the version in the installer.

Thanks

Is possible use command line for upgrade 7.0 version to 8.0 version?

No, an upgrade is not possible. You need to reinstall. This is possible from the command line.

Install SNAP on the command line - SNAP - SNAP Wiki (atlassian.net)

Hello

As ever, a great tool. Thanks to you all for your efforts. Just one minor point; I receive this error when trying to open products in the old SENTINEL SAFE Format:

java.lang.IllegalStateException: The naming convention structure is invalid for input file 'C:\DAGCRepo\S2A_OPER_PRD_MSIL1C_PDMC_20201023T071918_R133_V20201023T042841_20201023T042841.SAFE\GRANULE\S2A_OPER_MSI_L1C_TL_VGS1_20201023T062130_A027872_T46SEE_N02.09\S2A_OPER_MTD_L1C_TL_VGS1_20201023T062130_A027872_T46SEE.xml'
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.metadata.AbstractS2MetadataReader.<init>(AbstractS2MetadataReader.java:33)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.ortho.metadata.AbstractS2OrthoMetadataReader.<init>(AbstractS2OrthoMetadataReader.java:19)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.l1c.metadata.S2L1cProductMetadataReader.<init>(S2L1cProductMetadataReader.java:21)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.l1c.Sentinel2L1CProductReader.buildMetadataReader(Sentinel2L1CProductReader.java:60)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.l1c.Sentinel2L1CProductReader.buildMetadataReader(Sentinel2L1CProductReader.java:45)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.Sentinel2ProductReader.readProductNodesImpl(Sentinel2ProductReader.java:152)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.AbstractProductReader.readProductNodes(AbstractProductReader.java:178)
at org.esa.s2tbx.dataio.s2.ortho.Sentinel2OrthoProductReaderProxy.readProductNodes(Sentinel2OrthoProductReaderProxy.java:84)
at org.esa.snap.core.dataio.ProductIO.readProduct(ProductIO.java:179)
at org.esa.snap.rcp.actions.file.ReadProductOperation.run(ReadProductOperation.java:61)
at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Task.run(RequestProcessor.java:1443)
at org.netbeans.modules.openide.util.GlobalLookup.execute(GlobalLookup.java:68)
at org.openide.util.lookup.Lookups.executeWith(Lookups.java:303)

[catch] at org.openide.util.RequestProcessor$Processor.run(RequestProcessor.java:2058)

Does this mean that SENTINEL SAFE is not supported in SNAP 8.0? I’ve done a cursory check of all QI Reports, and the format and structure of the product seems to be OK.

Cheers

Jan

S2 MP Operations Manager

Does it happen with all products?

Hello Marcus @mengdahl

I have currently checked only the product in my previous post, but I am downloading another product to check. I know that if I select the product in COMPACT_SAFE, I can open it in SNAP.

Cheers

Jan

Dear Jan,
looking at the code (from your error stack trace), I see that this can happen if IMG_DATA or QI_DATA are missing (on the same level with granule metadata S2A_OPER_MTD_L1C_TL_VGS1_20201023T062130_A027872_T46SEE.xml )
Can you check this?

Hi @oana_hogoiu

Crumbs. Thanks. I’ll get back to you on this.

Cheers

Jan

Hello,

I’ve found the issue (it was a local configuration problem in my access software that didn’t present in the COMPACT_SAFE format download). My apologies.

I am very grateful for your support.

Cheers

Jan

2 Likes

In case you miss it…