An Era of Sentinels in Flood Research and Management

I want to share my review article on how Sentinel (1, 2, and 3) satellites have begun a new era in flood research and management published in an open-access journal:

In this paper, I consolidated all the technical specifications and operations of the microwave synthetic aperture radar (SAR) onboard Sentinel-1, optical sensors onboard Sentinel-2 (Multispectral Instrument) and Sentinel-3 (Ocean and Land Color Instrument), and SAR altimeter onboard Sentinel-3 in detail.

The core of the paper would emphasize the potential of the three Sentinel satellites (1, 2, & 3) at various phases of flood management and the overall revolution this fleet of satellites has brought in the field of flood research and applications. Please look at Section7 (Perspectives & Conclusions) of the same article for a quick review.

I hope this will be helpful to the community.

3 Likes

You have written a nice summary on the potentials of each sensors for flood-related topics, good job!

Thanks! @ABraun

May I ask about your experiences with the editing and review process of this journal?

It was good.

Very nice. Remote sensing has suffered in the past with different disciplines using difference processing systems and data repositories, so users working with multiple data streams are faced with learning and supporting multiple software systems, often with differing platforms that must be maintained. Many of the benefits of having multiple sensors under a single programme apply to other application areas.

The diversity of sensors, associated products, and software systems is a challenge for users. It is worth mentioning, as was done by Welch at al in "Considerations for transferring an operational dynamic ocean management tool between ocean color products"Redirecting, the importance of user forums such as STEP Forum (note that the link in this paper is outdated – ocean colour is now included in a general NASA Earth Observation forum).

Sources of friction when working with multiple sensors and data types include latency of product availability, quality standards, and file formats. Ocean colour processing is often delayed by availability of ancillary data for atmospheric correction. This limits our ability to incorporate ocean colour products in time-critical applications such as drift prediction for man-overboard and marine-spill incidents. SST processing has a long history in which efforts to improve accuracy resulted in reduced coverage at high latitudes. Those working in high latitudes often encounter unsuitable map projections used in readily available data products.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing this info this is useful keep it up.

1 Like