Borders of the granules within the 100 km x 100 km Level-1C products (tiles)?

Hello everybody,

I hope this question wasn’t asked before. I want to know if there is information about the borders of the granules within one Sentinel-2 Level-1C product in the product.

Every Sentinel-2 Level-1C product is a 100 km x 100 km square image, but the swath of the satellite does not always cover the whole square. In this text they name the 100 km x 100 km products tiles and I will use this name. The tiles refer to a global reference system. Thats why they are shifted to the granules.
Is there information in the .xml files (as an example) about the borders of the granules, which are the smaller parts of which the tiles consist? Or do they always have a specific value?

Thanks.

Do you think of a FOOTPRINT?
You can check the tag <EXT_POS_LIST> in MTD_MSIL1C.xml file. Those might be the coordinates you are looking for.
Cheers.

Hello @MaraM

The Level-1C Tiles are 100x100km2 ortho-images in UTM/WGS84 projection. The globe is divided up into these (see this page for an overview) . The Tiling Grid - in KML format - can be downloaded from the Mission Guide Key Resources and openoed in Google Earth. The Acquisition Plan (again, in KML format) for the S2A and S2B instruments can also be accessed from the Mission Guide, and mre information about the Products themselves can be found in the Sentinel-2 Products Specification Document (PSD) available from the S2 MSI Document Library.

Cheers

Jan

S2 MPC/CC Operations Manager