Breaking the dependency on deleted bands, pins, masks?

I notice that SNAP seems to keep track of dependencies between bands, pins, and masks. For example, if I import some pins and make a mask or band from them, that mask or band will change if the original pins change. And if the original pins are deleted, anything that depends on them will not be deleted, but will simply become empty.

I can see how this might be desired behavior in certain circumstances, but in others (like mine :slight_smile: ), it’s a problem. Is there any way to break that dependency and make “child” products persist independent of changes to the original elements?

Thanks,

Tom

As soon as you store the child product to disk it should be independent from it’s parent.
For mask and bands you have generated, you can create a copy of it by using the Band Maths.
Just use the name of the source band as expression and then ensure that you disable the Virtual option.
Then it should be independent.

Thanks Marco! I’m usually pretty disciplined about “saving often” but apparently I didn’t save during my process.

FWIW, it really helps to be able to create bands and masks simply using the expression “Pins”. I wouldn’t mind if the pixel morphology functions (dilate, etc) were part of the Band Maths function set, so I could say “dilate5(Pins)”.

For that matter, it would also be nice to select a subset of Pins based on their color: “dilate5(Pins(red))”

But regardless! Thanks so much for your help.

The morphology functions are not included in the Band Maths (it works on a pixel bases) but did you have a look in the menu entry beneath Band Maths? Filtered Band?

The morphology functions are not included in the Band Maths (it works on a pixel bases) but did you have a look in the menu entry beneath Band Maths? Filtered Band?

Yes, which is why I’d like to see them as functions in the Band Maths dialog :slight_smile:

Oh, and can we please get a US customization to change that to Band Math? :wink:

We named it ‘Band Math’ in the very beginning. But then someone (an English guy) told us it should be ‘Band Maths’.
Unfortunately we don’t support localis(z)ation. :slight_smile:

That’s quite all right. Keeps us on our toes :slight_smile: