Calculate Backscatter coefficient by SNAP

Yeah, I got it. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your help.

I think for GRD products, the first thing is to perform calibration for GRD data and generate the sigma0 of VV/VH data; then covert the sigma0 of VV/VH data to backscattering coefficients product in dB.

Are you doing it in SNAP ,all the 5 steps??

LOL, I took me a lot of reading also to realize that radiometric calibration is back-scatter coefficient.

Sigma0 is the normalized radar cross section (often named backscatter coefficient, calibrated with calibration constant and global incidence angle)
Beta0 is the radar brightness (only the calibration constant is applied, incidence angle is not included)

3 Likes

Thanks Doc, so many some little things to understand and master in radar analysis unlike optical analysis

Dear ABraun,

I read through these conversations and I am wondering to know that there is any possibility to get the backscatter coefficient (Sigma0) as a final product in decibel after Terrain flattening and Terrain correction?

Greetings,
Karlmarx

hello, I am a new user to SNAP. Can any body tell me that how to calculate backscatter coefficient(steps). and how many data needed to calculate this?

I suggest using ASF’s Radiometric Terrain Correction (RTC) service directly, they will generate the results (geocoded in dB scale) :
https://asf.alaska.edu/asf/on-demand-sentinel-1-rtc-is-now-available-at-10-m-pixel-spacing-and-in-db-scale/

Please consult the tutorials for SNAP/S1TBX.

Marcus

Basically, by applying the radiometric calibration operator. As suggested, please check the preprocessing tutorials.