Calibration in PolSARpro problem

Hello,
i´m trying to do calibration in polSARpro with this data - S1A_IW_SLC__1SDV_20160302T165042_20160302T165109_010193_00F0B5_EE62.SAFE
but after importing and extracting data, when i click on calibration, a message pops up saying “functionality only available for input polarimetric data format = S2” - but when extracting, the (S2) choice was greyed out, so I chose (Sxx, Sxy) - the default.
Does it mean that I cannot calibrate this data? because in SNAP it was possible without any problems.
I´m a beginner in processing sar data, any explanation would be helpful.
thanks for every response
tom

Tom,
PolSARPro is perhaps not the best environment to be trying to work with Sentinel-1 data. Try SNAP instead. The PolSARPRo calibration is for polarimetric calibration. It is asking for a Sinclair Matrix dataset (S2). Your data are not transformed into S2. PolSARPro does enable some dual-pol processing but it will be quite limited I’d imagine (I haven’t tried to be honest). Does that help?
Regards
Ian

Thank you Ian,
your answer was helpful.
My job is to compare some softwares in processing Sentinel-1 SLC data - so I can say, that polsarpro is better for another purpose.
I have already done basic processing in SNAP - everything went fine,
now I´m trying to do at least something in PolSARpro and then I should do something in Geomatica,
but as I discovered recently, Geomatica neither supports S1 SLC data, so could you maybe suggest any other programs that can do basic processing of S1 SLC data? (something like SNAP)
And is there a way how to transform my data to S2 or it is not possible with the data I´m using?
Thanks!

As S1 is so new not all programs support it. The SARScape add-on to ENVI does but is expensive. You may find the Alaska Satellite Facility software (Mapready) works with S1 data.

SNAP and PolSARPro are both needed for polarimetric data. I use SNAP to select datasets, calibrate, fix orbits, filter, decompositions, band maths,…
I use PolsarPro to get decompositions not available in SNAP (I hope they will be soon) then I import back to SNAP to create stacks and terrain correct.

If you want other software like SNAP the closest would be Sarscape but it very expensive.

1 Like

I tried the ASF MapReady, but unfortunately it does not support S1 data.
It´s a shame, that Sarscape doesn´t offer a trial version.
Anyway, thank you for your replies YiPing and Ian, you´ve been helpful!

Thank you for the feedback - could you list which dual-pol decompositions you would like to see in SNAP?

1 Like

Krogager, Cameron, Huynen, RVOG inversion, Stokes parameters - degree of polarisation, and for L frequencies Faraday correction

1 Like

Hi everyone !!
So the Snap can use to discover the marine flood and to detect humidity in the mangrove forest ??? Because I think that all these treatments are served at Polsarpro, so that I, too, fall into these errors like that of our friends. What options do I use in the snap?

Thank you all

HERY

I tried to use the Tomogram function in PolSAR pro 5.1 , can anyone tell me what do I take as input ? Co registered time series TerraSAR-X or individual time series imageries ?

I also tried the TomSAR module but wasn’t successful with it. I get a runtime error at some point
Did you already see this tutorial?
http://eoscience.esa.int/landtraining2017/files/materials/D5P1a_P.pdf

this is not an error. Please go through the tutorials first.
Here I provided a short instruction list on how to read data: Help installing PolSARpro software step by step on detailed on the windows 7 system

MEANS before the tom-sar processing, we need to follow the steps for all datasets as said inthe above link?

absolutely. PolSARpro needs to “extract” the images first, that means that it converts them in a format which is suitable for the processing.

i did this exactly and again i am facing the same issue, after extraction when i am processong tom-sar

again, this is only a warning. Just click on Yes and proceed with the image extraction.

why did you chose the folder /new instead of the folder where you originally extrated the data?

since i had to extract two or more different time series images to be used for tom_sar later on, i extracted them into seperate folders

for me it worked like this:

1. Extract image 1
  2. Extract image 2
  3. Add both extrated images in the "Multi Data Sets (Pol-TomSAR) dialogue
  4. The Polarimetric Tomography menu appears

Any solution to this ?