Coherent Change Detection Applications

Has anyone had any success utilizing the coherence bands between two pairs of SLCs for change detection?
I am curious of the validity of comparing coherence bands to estimate disaster damage and processes that inSAR has a more time detecting such as coastal change and erosion.

For something like earthquake damage in urban areas, I was thinking that I would require three SLCs: two before the event and one after.
SLC1 and SLC2 would be used for a baseline coherence estimation before the event. SLC2 and SLC3 would be used for a second coherence estimation encompassing the event. Theoretically if there is significant damage, there would be a noticable decrease in the second coherence band? I suppose an NDVI map could also be used to mask out vegetated areas to help ensure that the temporal decorrelation is primarily as a result of building collapse.

Hi @rbiessel ,
I just came across your post since I am also trying to investigate this topic more. Have you had any experience using S1 data for CCD? I am currently checking literature what has been done so far and how to get results for especially urban areas. So far it seems that only “changed” features larger than spatial resolution of your SAR can be detected. If you have some insights it would be nice to connect on the matter. Best, judith

1 Like