Consequences of polarimetric speckle filtering on C2 matrix

Hello everyone,
@dmichelakis, @ABraun @idc

I have a question on the implication of polarimetric speckle filtering on a C2 matrix (i.e. from an S1 SLC), specifically in times series application.

In the attached Lecture notes by the esteemed Pottier, Lee & Ferro-Famil, bottom of pg.16, the subheading “Consequences of polarimetric speckle filtering”

…is described how a polarimetric filtering ‘decouples’ phase from canonical scattering mechanisms.

If understand correctly, this means that polarimetric methods such as h-alpha decomposition & classification are not sensible as the phase is no longer related to a specific scattering mechanism (please correct me if I have misunderstood).

I generally like using the polarimetric speckle filter, but I work a lot with time-series, namely change detection, so my question is, are two C2 matrices still comparable after pol-spk filtering? Or is the phase altered inconsistently.

I am hoping that if the phase alteration is consistent, then relative comparison between images still holds, even though absolute comparison to scattering mechanism is not.

Thanks for your insight

Ryan

That is a good question butI am not able to answer it, sorry.
(thought I still answer as you mentioned me in the question).

No worries, Thanks for answering anyway