Conversion between geotiff and CEOS format

I have a large set of ALOS2-PALSAR2 scenes in geotiff format (level 1.5 georeferenced, rather than geocoded). I need to be able to geocode these scenes, but all the software options I’ve tried can only work with CEOS format. We don’t have the possibility to re-order in CEOS format due to budget constraints. Is there a way to convert from geotiff to CEOS format? I’ve had a look at gdal_translate options, but I can’t find a method to do this yet. Otherwise is there any opensource software that can geocode this format of data? Thanks for any help with this.

as documented in this table, CEOS cannot be created by gdal drivers: https://gdal.org/drivers/raster/index.html
The problem is that Level 1.5 GeoTiff data only contains backscatter intensity while the CEOS SAR format stores the complex information (real and imaginary part) of a SAR acquisition. This information cannot be restored from later processing levels.

The only other open source programs I know are ASF MapReady and GITASAR, but both only take CEOS data as well.

What happens when you load the GeoTiffs into a GIS?

Hi Selena,
Finding myself in the same situation. Curious to know if you have found a way out, please.
Best regards,
Haifa

Maybe someone can help you when you describe what data you have and for what purpose you want to convert it.

Yes, right. Thanks. So I’ve got PALSAR2 L1.1 GeoTiff and I am realising it is not the file type supported by ENVI SARscape. I did not know CEOS was the only type to have appropriate metadata.

ok, I understand. As the file structure is entirely different, I don’t think this can be solved by a simple conversion. Do you have the chance to get the CEOS format from the provider as well?

How I wish! Vendor is recommending new order at the same price. Is it possible that the GeoTiff in hand is completely “useless”?

You can try if you can open the data with GITASAR: GITASAR: SAR image processing for beginners

Thanks! Will do.

Hi Haifa, I’m sorry I just saw your response now. Were you able to find a solution in the end? I’ve still not found any way forward with it. I also tried using the Gitasar software, but it only seems to work for the CEOS data. I’ll post back here if I do find a solution. Best wishes!