Error importing ALOS PALSAR-2 Dual Pol

Level 1.5 or 2.1 can be geocoded in SNAP when you apply the mosaic operator on the image. But it does not include terrain correction.

The problem of gecoding quadpol data exported from PolSARpro is a different one, so let’s not mix this up.

Yes, understood this one is different case.
I tried the Radar --> Geometric --> SAR-Mosaic also tried the Update Geo Reference but error. Seems some required information (metadata) is missing.

but that is the quad-pol data right?

You can geocode quad-pol data directly in PolSAR pro:

grafik

Ya, its quad pol. Great!
Thank you @ABraun :grinning: :+1: you saved my day. Regarding my TanDEM-X quiry the other day I will ask you about few details about the outputs.

There is slight difference with my SNAP Geocode parameter box. Addition to the selection is the “Save Auxiliary Files” Maybe I should try the DEM.

The geocoding was stuck and I closed PolSARpro. Then I wanted to repeat the process but I dont know how to set the data directory.

“Save Auxilliary Files” is not necessary here.

If you want to access the data again, you select the directory where your data was processed (not the sub-folders e.g. T3) under Environment > Single Dataset.

Hello, This is Enlan. I have the level 2.1 data like you and I want backscatter value from it. Could you please suggest me what to do as per your experience? I can’t do calibration. Thanks in advance.

Level-2.1 is an advanced product level where terrain correction has already been applied. Its calibration to Sigma0 is currently not supported in SNAP.

Have you tried to apply the calibration equation via the band maths?

10*log(10) * (DN^2) - 83

where DN is your raster image.source: https://www.eorc.jaxa.jp/ALOS-2/en/calval/calval_index.htm

The result should range between -40 and +10 dB

I have ALOS-2 PALSAR-2 data and I have performed the backscattering Coefficient calculation using the equation (10*log(10) * (DN^2) - 83). I have attached the bandmath wizard below. After the band math performed, I found the value in linear format (i.e. 61432 some thing like this). I then convert linear to dB by using Linear to/ from dB option of SNAP. Finally the value came as the range of 42 to 56. is it normal? I only need a valid backscattering Coefficient value. It would be really great if you please help me out. Thanks in advance.

I think the conversion to dB is no longer necessary, the formula already produces log-scaled data. What is the histogram of “Exercise”?

This is what I got after I applied the equation using band math

Any thoughts @ABraun?

patience, please.
No need to tag me three hours after your initial question on Sunday morning… :wink:

I checked a Level-2.1 product on my side:

Raw input

After application of the equation

10*log10(Amplitude_HH^2) - 83

So, just apply it to the Amplitude, not the intensity and don’t apply the log transformation afterwards, it is already included in the equation. Then your calibrated data should roughly range between -35 and + 5

Many thanks for your support! although it did not work in SNAP but I found a workaround using the equation you shared in ArcGIS. Did you perform the above instance in GEE? Thanks once again as I am now capable of getting backscatter values.

good! The screenshot is from QGIS, but the equation would be the same in SNAP, the only thing to watch out for is that you select amplitude instead of intensity.

Yes, but somehow my SNAP is not working perfectly with level 2.1.

During the time of geocoding T3 matrix, the following error is showing. Any suggestions, please?

Hello, I use the intensity MLI data obtained by GAMMA software to substitute the backscattering coefficient value calculated by the formula seems to be incorrect. why can’t apply intensity? Isn’t the intensity the square of the amplitude?

Hello, I want to get the backscattering coefficient of ALOS PALSAR 1.1 level product, I performed Radar-radiometric-calibrate in SNAP and got Sigma0_HV, then performeded linear to db, and finally got the backscattering coefficient as follows. Is this the correct operation? Furthermore, I found that I performed Radar-radiometric-calibrate at Band Maths using the equation (10*log10 (Intensity_HV) - 83-32),can get the same result as above. I really hope to get your reply! Thank you in advance.