Exclude isolated single pixels from a binary mask

Hello everyone!

I’m working on flood extraction using S1-GRD Products.
I have an issue regarding the binary flood output obtained using the band math operator. The result is enough good, but it contains many isolated single pixels which are not relevant for my goals (see the snapshot below).

I tried unsuccessfully to exclude them using the available filters.

Maybe (maybe not!), it would make sense to try to solve my issue using the band math, but I don’t have idea how to say, in the band math language, “set as 0 the isolated pixel” or “keep as 1 only the clusters bigger than one (or even 2-3) pixel”.

Do you have any ideas about the expression to use with the band math operator? Do you know any other operation [available in SNAP] to achieve my target?

Many thanks.

Wouldn’t a 3x3 mimimum or erosion filter do the job?
On the other hand, they will probably remove more than just 1-pixel-clusters - in case you can tolerate that for your analysis.

1 Like

Dear Mr Braun,
that was what i expected, but as you can see the result is totally different:

Dear OmarMa,
The solution I found for your issue is not in snap, but gdal has a “Sieve” filter which I find quite effective.
Try running a gdal command with
gdal_sieve -8 your_tif.tif your_sieved_tif.tif
more info:http://www.gdal.org/gdal_sieve.html
You could do the same in qgis: https://docs.qgis.org/2.8/en/docs/user_manual/processing_algs/gdalogr/gdal_analysis/sieve.html
Hope this helps,
Thijs

3 Likes

Dear thijs.oosterhuis ,
I really appreciate your help, thank you very much!
But I need to find a solution within SNAP (I’m using the GraphBuilder and I’d like to obtain a satisfying result without the need to improve my output using other software/system).

have you defined a NoData value in your binary water mask? This is often conflicting with the filters available.

1 Like

I just tried the 3x3 erosion. And for me, it worked.

But opening might be better for your case:
https://opencv-python-tutroals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/py_tutorials/py_imgproc/py_morphological_ops/py_morphological_ops.html

2 Likes

Maybe you have to invert the values or as Andreas suggested remove the nodata.

1 Like

Dear @ABraun & @marpet,

As you suggested I have defined NoData values (I didn’t before) on the BandMath Tab:

The behaviour of the Filters algorithms now looks more normal, but the application of Erode3 or Min3 doesn’t solve my problem. Indeed, as you can see by the snapshot below [that shows synchronised output]

• marked in red we have single isolated pixel that the filtering was able to remove

• but marked in blue we have single isolated pixel newly created by the filtering!

Many thanks for your help, I’ll go ahead with other tests! Further comments or tips will be very appreciate!

Best

yes, the cyan pixels were now reduced to one pixel left after the minimum filter. You could apply the min3 filter twice, for example, by increasing the number of iterations.
grafik

But this does not grant you either, that a single pixel will be left at another location.

1 Like

Yes, if there was a 2-pixel group it is now a single pixel.

You might need to play around with the kernel.
What worked best for me is:

That’s the result:

Maybe there is no perfect image filter.

2 Likes

Dear Mr @ABraun,
I have performed further tests, and i can say that Erosion and Minimum filters are not the appropriate filters to use in order to achieve my goal, that is to eliminate the single isolated pixel extracted (to respect a concept of Minimum Mapping Units … I can’t pretend to extract flood information from a single-pixel!).
Minimum and Erosion filters have the effect to delete randomly information (also the good one).
In any case, your suggestion to set No-Data Value has been fundamental to guarantee the correct run of filter algorithms.
Many many thanks!

Dear Mr. @marpet,

the Opening filters look to fit very well with my purpose! The documentation regarding filtering you sent me (https://opencv-python-tutroals.readthedocs.io/en/latest/py_tutorials/py_imgproc/py_morphological_ops/py_morphological_ops.html) is great! The Closing filter as well will be very helpful for my work.

Anyway, i did some research on the forum on the possibility to use the morphological filters with the GraphBuilder + command line and unfortunately, as you said in 2018 [Where is Image Filter option in Raster menu?] it is not possible.

In any case, I’m going to perform some tests about it and I’ll back with some comments!

Thank you very much for your help!

I’ve another idea what you can do.

You can first run a low-pass 3x3 filter and afterwards you use the bands to filter out the low values.
In the image on the left white is 255 and black is zero.
In the right image after low-pass the values vary between 0 and 255 lowest non-zero is ~15.
The single pixel has a value of 63.75. So in a second step i can ouse a band maths expression to set all values below 64 to zero and all other to one.

pins_lp3 < 64 ? 0 : 1

By doing this I get the result at the bottom. And only the single pixel is removed.

So your graph could look like this.
What you need to know is that the output name of the band which is filtered is the same as the input.
So, you have to use this name in the expression.

2 Likes

beautiful solution, Marco! :smiley:

Dear Mr. @marpet,

this looks really like an elegant solution!!

I’ll run some tests and I’ll back with feedback.

Many thanks to you and to @ABraun to share and spread your precious knowledge

I ran some tests (on just one of my case studies).

The results are very good! After the application of LP3, I searched for the best threshold value to use. In my case, the single isolated pixels have the value of 0.25000, but using that value the output was not good enough and I choose 0.5000. To be honest I don’t get how is possible that, systematically, all the isolated pixel have the same value! I’ll study how exactly LP filter works.

The snapshot below take into account a significant sample of my AOI. Are shown 3 different processing moment:

1 = the binary input before filtering;
2 = the output after the application of Low Pass Filter 3;
3= the final output after the application of BandMath;

I’ve marked:

• in blue the single-pixel removed at the end of the chain processing
  • in red the single-pixel newly created at the end of chain processing

I’d like to summarize the results achieved in this first test:

-Most of the single isolated pixels are removed and just a few are newly create;

-in general, the output looks more “clean” and, at the same time, the consistency of the information is maintained.

Enjoy your Sunday!