Fast-24h vs NRT-3h in GRD products, status 25.8.2021?

There was earlier a thread with title “Delays in Sentinel-1 processing”. Those problems were connected with the transfer of processing and distribution to some cloud infrastructure. There was also a policy change from Fast-24h products to NRT-3h products due to improved NRT-3h processing. In the spring, scihub worked well having only one copy of the improved NRT-3h products.

Now they have started producing Fast-24h products (today products of 31.7.2021 and 1.8.2021). Does anybody know what this is ? Yet another policy change ? Some indication that re-processing is needed for some reason ? In my book the “Fast-24h” is a bit misleading product name in this case. It is not particularly fast and it is closer to 24 days than 24 hours. The net effect is that disk space for .zip files is eaten twice as fast as previously unless the user sets up some system to remove older copies of the products.

I did not find any notice of this change on the scihub news (neither on the Copernicus news).

And before anybody reminds me of EOSupport, I will send a copy of this posting also to them.

Ciao
Yrjö

1 Like

Let’s update it here. EOSupport answered (already 27.8.2021) that it was some anomaly in aux files (PDGSANOM 8427). There were 2695 products re-processed (31.7.-2.8.2021). It was recommended to use the latest version of the products, but the earlier products will be removed from the data hub.

So, no policy change. It is a pity that users should pay attention that sometimes there are these anomalies. Probably anomalies every now and then are unavoidable in the long run, though.

Ciao
Yrjö

More anomalies on 4 September 2021 (checked for Germany). Again some Fast-24h slipping through the net.