GRD Products: Slice Assembly vs SAR-Mosaic

Hi everyone,

I’m new in the forum and I’m new with the SAR but I’m reading many forum’s discussions and I’d like to thank all for the sharing of knowledge.

I’m building a workflow (to extract flood) with the Graph Builder using the following S1 GRD product:

• S1B_IW_GRDH_1SDV_20190916T060959_20190916T061024_018059_021FF5_D55F
  • S1B_IW_GRDH_1SDV_20190916T060934_20190916T060959_018059_021FF5_4DBC

These, are two subsequent scenes acquired over Spain and it is the reason because, before to apply pre-processing functions (Cal/TF/TC), I’d like to mosaic the scenes.

I tried to achieve my goal applying the function SAR-Mosaic and it works, but there is no way to eliminate the border noise, even using the function Remove-GRD-Border-Noise (i tried placing it in every possible position of the processing chain).

See the border noise:

Then, reading the forum’s discussions, I figured out the function SliceAssembly which worked very well, removing completely the border noise. See the first steps of the graph:

My questions are:

• which are the differences between the functions SAR-Mosaic and SliceAssembly?
  • Do you have any comments regarding the first steps of my processing chain? Is it correct?

Many thanks in advance!

1 Like

Slice Assembly is specifically developed for Sentinel-1 products and can be applied before the geocoding.

SAR Mosaic is a way to merge different coverages in both range and azimuth direction. I would apply it only to stripmap images which are already geocoded by Range Doppler Terrain Correction. You can define a fuzzy area (feathering) to blend from one image into the other if they have overlapping parts.
Some remarks on this: GRD BORDER NOISE removal over ocean areas

2 Likes

Dear Mr Braun,

many thanks for your quick answer!

Best regards