How to run and debug SNAP from an IDE -IntelliJ IDEA - Error

i used the parameters specified in this link https://senbox.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SNAP/pages/24051775/IntelliJ+IDEA

and more specifically the ones
Main class: org.esa.snap.nbexec.Launcher
VM options: -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true -Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true -Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false -Dorg.netbeans.level=INFO -Dsnap.debug=true -Xmx4G
Program arguments: --userdir “/home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP/snap-desktop/snap-application/target/snap/…/userdir” --patches “/home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP//snap-engine/$/target/classes:/home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP/s1tbx/$/target/classes” --clusters “/home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP/s1tbx/s1tbx-kit/target/netbeans_clusters/s1tbx”

I get the following error:
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.IllegalStateException: Not a valid installation directory: /home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP
at org.esa.snap.nbexec.Launcher.run(Launcher.java:101)
at org.esa.snap.nbexec.Launcher.main(Launcher.java:86)

Its looking for an directory called etc and another one called platform which are not exist, I tried to create them manually to see what they are and it seems some configurations for clusters which I don’t have its files also
How to solve that?

What have you specified as Working directory?
I guess in your case it should be
/home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP/snap-desktop/snap-application/target/snap

Also, the path to the userdir looks strange. Change it to.
/home/ahmad/Documents/Projects/SNAP/snap-desktop/snap-application/target/userdir

In the patches directory, I see a duplicated ‘/’. Don’t know if this can cause trouble

Thanks for your help
You was right about working directory.
But I figured out something not in the documentation that you need to build the snap-desktop & snap-engine before do the configuration otherwise IntelliJ IDEA will reject the paths as target not exist
Also the path to the userdir is ok no need to change it.

I’ve updated the guide to mention this. Thanks for pointing this out.

I have found another point in the documentations related to “How to create a new product reader”
manifest.mf need to update.
OpenIDE-Module-Layer: org/esa/snap/dataio/<format-name>/layer.xml
should be
OpenIDE-Module-Layer: e/g/org/esa/snap/dataio/<format-name>/layer.xml

In general in case if I found anything how should I report it?

That’s the right way to report such things.

Actually, the path is correct. In the section where the layer.xml is created the path should only be org.esa.snap.dataio.<format-name>

The e.g. before the path is not part of the path. This is not clear, I admit.
So I changed it to this:

another point in documentation I think it relate for the same name

Java code
  1. create package e.g. org.esa.snap.dataio.<format-name>

at this page
https://senbox.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SNAP/pages/10584125/How+to+create+a+new+product+reader
I think it need to change to the same
org.esa.snap.dataio.<format-name>

Yes, I just replaced e.g. by for example