How to start with SNAPPY for Python 3.6 + Guide?

I am currently using SNAP ESA Toolbox but I really want to start using SNAPPY as I wish to manipulate Senintel products in the dim format. I would really appreciate if one could guide me as currently the below link only applies for python versions 2.7 and 3.4.

https://senbox.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SNAP/pages/50855941/Configure+Python+to+use+the+SNAP-Python+snappy+interface

With regards to the documentation of the functions that are used in snappy, I am fully aware there isn’t as this originates from a JAVA Api, but can someone list down the documentation of each java function related to snappy esa?

Support for Python up to 3.7 is planned in the near future - @marpet has more info about the exact schedule.

I’m not sure what you mean by this. The Java functions are documented here:
http://step.esa.int/docs/v6.0/apidoc/engine/

For the near future, we plan to improve the documentation on how to use snappy, especially on how to set up a snappy project and provide more exhaustive guides on how to develop with snappy. Later this year, also support for the latest Python version will come and we also plan to introduce a thin pythonic interface. This will enable code-completion and disable function documentation within your IDE. But this will come only in the second half of the year.

2 Likes

In terms of installation, i’m working with Snappy on Python 3.7.2. Apart from dependencies’ requirements, i only found the problem solved here:

Hope it helps.

Regards.

1 Like

hi,

is there any update?
I am struggling installing snappy to python 3.7 (conda environment).
The instruction on installing jpy, therefore the whole JDK, seems quite exaggerated solution. Isn’t there some kinder way?

thank you.

M.

Hello @marpet, is there an update on snappy for python 3.6 and newer? I didn’t see any information in the atlassian page.

I succesfully configured snappy for use in python 3.6 with no problems just following the basic installation steps.(Windows 10 OS)

Using the instructions, I am able to install in the SNAP Command line using python2 and run the test data in a python2 (Anaconda2) terminal, but I can’t install using python 3.7 or run in a python3 terminal. The install error looks like the error described here but for Anaconda3.