Image selection for interferometry - how important is Frame?

Hi all. Sorry for what is probably a bit of a basic question (I searched this forum to no find no definitive answer as yet) but how important is frame when it comes to selecting images for use in interferometry providing that all available frames cover the AOI? Obviously Track should be kept the same. I realise that the perpendicular baseline is the key parameter here, but I am not sure how great an effect different frames will have on this.

Cheers.

1 Like

Choosing the data to implement InSAR is depending on many goals,

For instance if the goal is to detecting the Inter seismic deformation or Post seismic, Or the goal is to monitor long term deformation and slow deformation, of course the key points are the perpendicular baseline and the temporal baseline.

good question actually. I never tried but it would be nice to have some published evidence about it. 7

Didn’t find any studies which explicitly use images of different frames (but the same track) for InSAR.

Using image of different frame covers the same area of different track will result high perpendicular baseline at the expense of phase result. (I’m talking about InSAR)

For images along the track this sounds totally reasonable. But there are cases when the image frames are just shifted a few kilometers, thus forming another frame.
I’m not sure if this is what @smithalas means. Maybe I’ll find an example.

If the frame is shifted it should result in a shorter interferogram since only the area covered by both can be processed to an interferogram.

Thanks, I’m using it for landslide monitoring so will emphasize perpendicular baseline in my processing!

Yes that’s what I mean - the frame is part of the same track technically but is shifted a few km.