InSAR Fault Slip Modelling

Hello Everyone,
I hope you are doing well
I’m working on research work Co-Seismic Surface Deformation induced by Earthquake along an Active Blind Fault estimated using Sentinel-1 TOPS Interferometry
I need to process the Fault Slip Model but I don’t know where to start. Can anyone help me with step by step processing.

Kind Regards,
Ali

1 Like

maybe this tutorial on the basic steps for interferogram generation and deformation mapping is a first step?

Sentinel-1 TOPS interferometry

@ABraun Thanks for your reply. I already find displacement caused by earthquake.
Now I just need Processing steps for Fault Slip Model

Maybe you can first describe your exact aims and at which point you struggle.

I find many references on this topic, so the general concept is not new. But I’m not aware of any software inplementation.

@ABraun I have Estimated surface Deformation caused by earthquakes along Active blind Fault.
I have generated Interferograms
Now my next target is InSAR based Fault Slip Modelling like Fault Inversion Model
I need Processing steps for Fault modeling

Hi @M.Ali512,

It’s not simple to make an inversion model. Each model has different characteristics and can change according to the user’s skill and the data used. In order to do this, first, you could introduce yourself in some bibliography. I suggest you read professor Paul Segall’s Book to review concepts and methodology from papers (attachment names).

1. Segall, P. (2010). Earthquake and volcano deformation . Princeton University Press.
  2. Okada, Y. (1985). Surface deformation due to shear and tensile faults in a half-space. Bulletin of the seismological society of America , 75 (4), 1135-1154.
  3. Okada, Y. (1992). Internal deformation due to shear and tensile faults in a half-space. Bulletin of the seismological society of America , 82 (2), 1018-1040.

And some examples from articles to see slip inversion with inSAR data and joint inversion (GPS and InSAR)

1. Elliott, J. R., Jolivet, R., González, P. J., Avouac, J. P., Hollingsworth, J., Searle, M. P., & Stevens, V. L. (2016). Himalayan megathrust geometry and relation to topography revealed by the Gorkha earthquake. Nature Geoscience , 9 (2), 174-180.
  2. Béjar-Pizarro, M., Carrizo, D., Socquet, A., Armijo, R., Barrientos, S., Bondoux, F., … & Charade, O. (2010). Asperities and barriers on the seismogenic zone in North Chile: state-of-the-art after the 2007 M w 7.7 Tocopilla earthquake inferred by GPS and InSAR data. Geophysical Journal International , 183 (1), 390-406.
  3. Morgan, P. M., Feng, L., Meltzner, A. J., Lindsey, E. O., Tsang, L. L., & Hill, E. M. (2017). Sibling earthquakes generated within a persistent rupture barrier on the Sunda megathrust under Simeulue Island. Geophysical Research Letters , 44 (5), 2159-2166.

There are many more articles, you can find them.
Generally you take the interferogram and convert to text file (lon, lat, displacement) in ascending and descending orbits. There are softwares in matlab that work with subsampled data, so you need downsampled them, also in python. For example in matlab you can find GBIS (bayesian approach from COMET), PCAIM (Caltech), in python Pyrocko (Kite is integrated to subsampled data), and many others like TDEFNODE in fortran. Also, you could write your own code approach for geodetic inversion with matlab skills for example from multiple rectangular dislocations following the solution of Okada,1985.

I hope you can work with this, see the user’s manual of softwares and try.

2 Likes

Such a wonderful explanation. Thank you Simonst7