InSAR processing S1 Debrust products

With 2 debrust products (split+debrust only IW1 and VV polarization), coregistration was done with InSAR Coregistration or DEM assisted coregistration Module.

Applying the Interferogram Formation or Coherence Estimation, a problem occured: Metadata attribute ‘polarization’ not found

Could you have a look to this problem found in the lastest SNAP release ?

Logs :

org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Coherence: Metadata attribute ‘polarization’ not found
at org.esa.snap.engine_utilities.gpf.OperatorUtils.catchOperatorException(OperatorUtils.java:386)
at org.esa.s1tbx.insar.gpf.CreateCoherenceImageOp.initialize(CreateCoherenceImageOp.java:168)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.initializeOperator(OperatorContext.java:499)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getTargetProduct(OperatorContext.java:278)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.Operator.getTargetProduct(Operator.java:357)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.GPF.createProductNS(GPF.java:311)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.GPF.createProduct(GPF.java:286)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.GPF.createProduct(GPF.java:265)
at org.esa.snap.graphbuilder.rcp.dialogs.SingleOperatorDialog.createTargetProduct(SingleOperatorDialog.java:173)
[catch] at org.esa.snap.graphbuilder.rcp.dialogs.SingleOperatorDialog.onApply(SingleOperatorDialog.java:288)
at org.esa.snap.ui.AbstractDialog.lambda$initUI$13(AbstractDialog.java:494)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2022)
at javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2348)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:402)
at javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:259)
at javax.swing.plaf.basic.BasicButtonListener.mouseReleased(BasicButtonListener.java:252)
at java.awt.AWTEventMulticaster.mouseReleased(AWTEventMulticaster.java:289)
at java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6535)
at javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3324)
at java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6300)
at java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2236)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4891)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2294)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4713)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4888)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4525)
at java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4466)
at java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2280)
at java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2750)
at java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4713)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:758)
at java.awt.EventQueue.access$500(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:709)
at java.awt.EventQueue$3.run(EventQueue.java:703)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:86)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:731)
at java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:729)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:76)
at java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:728)
at org.netbeans.core.TimableEventQueue.dispatchEvent(TimableEventQueue.java:159)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:201)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:116)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:105)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:93)
at java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:82)

Those are not the correct coregistration-methods for TOPS-data, please see the tutorial.

http://sentinel1.s3.amazonaws.com/docs/S1TBX%20TOPSAR%20Interferometry%20with%20Sentinel-1%20Tutorial.pdf

Workflow describes in the tutorial is already used but results are brusty !? With or without using the range shift and the azimuth shift.

To avoid problems of S1 specific coregistration method, I tried an alternative way: debrust Sentinel product, register the slave image and interferogram generation. Unfortunately the last processing step was not feasible due to the metadata missing information not propagate by previous modules.

The problem has been fixed. Thank you for your report.

I did tests and problem is still there !
I will try additional experiments and come back to you as soon as I can.

I mean the “Metadata attribute polarization not found” problem has been fixed. Could you provide the names of the data sets used for your test so that we can repeat the test? Thanks.

Products:

• S1A_IW_SLC__1SDV_20150530T191751_20150530T191818_006155_007FFB_E1CE
  • S1A_IW_SLC__1SDV_20150623T191752_20150623T191819_006505_008A1E_57C9

Burst appears : lower coherence along columns every x lines

Processing chain:

• Extract products (split +debrust) for IW2 subswath
  • InSAR Coregistration module
  • Coherence estimation

Patrick, why not use the TOPS Coregistration which specifically handles the bursts? This coregistration is for Stripmap.

@lveci I think SNAP should issue a warning if the user is trying to use stripmap-coregistration for TOPS or vice versa.

1 Like

Hey,
I created a interferogram for the Kumamoto (Japan) earthquake using a co-seismic pair from S-1 SLC (08.Apr and 20.Apr). However, I noticed similar discontinuities in the INSAR, after debursting (see picture).
Any suggestions as to what causes it?

1 Like

Hi
I have this problem (similar discontinuities in the INSAR) in many interferogram. Did you solve the problem?
Regards