Issues with Snap GUI in Amazon EC2 (Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty)

Hi,

I have a t2.large instance on Amazon EC2 with 8Go of ram and 30Go of disk space.

The OS used is Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty and the desktop manager is xfce4. I’m trying to remotely access the desktop using xrdp which is working quite well.

However, when I run SNAP Desktop.desktop (installed in ~/snap/), the SNAP window disappears quickly with the following errors:

• In ~/.xsession-errors:

libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

A fatal error has been detected by the Java Runtime Environment:

SIGSEGV (0xb) at pc=0x00007fa10d0695ba, pid=24773, tid=140328462690048

JRE version: Java™ SE Runtime Environment (8.0_45-b14) (build 1.8.0_45-b14)

Java VM: Java HotSpot™ 64-Bit Server VM (25.45-b02 mixed mode linux-amd64 compressed oops)

Problematic frame:

v ~BufferBlob::jni_fast_GetLongField

Failed to write core dump. Core dumps have been disabled. To enable core dumping, try “ulimit -c unlimited” before starting Java again

An error report file with more information is saved as:

/home/ubuntu/snap/hs_err_pid24773.log

If you would like to submit a bug report, please visit:

http://bugreport.java.com/bugreport/crash.jsp

The crash happened outside the Java Virtual Machine in native code.

See problematic frame for where to report the bug.

/home/ubuntu/snap/bin/…/platform/lib/nbexec: line 474: 24773 Aborted (core dumped) “/home/ubuntu/snap/jre/bin/java” -Djdk.home="/home/ubuntu/snap/jre" -classpath “/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/boot.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/org-openide-util-lookup.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/boot_ja.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/boot_pt_BR.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/boot_ru.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/boot_zh_CN.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ja.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_pt_BR.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ru.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ja.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_ja.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_pt_BR.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_ru.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util-lookup_zh_CN.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_pt_BR.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ru.jar:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform/lib/locale/org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar” -Dnetbeans.dirs="/home/ubuntu/snap/etc:/home/ubuntu/snap/ide:/home/ubuntu/snap/platform:/home/ubuntu/snap/snap:/home/ubuntu/snap/s1tbx:" -Dnetbeans.home="/home/ubuntu/snap/platform" ‘-XX:+AggressiveOpts’ ‘-Xverify:none’ ‘-Xms256M’ ‘-Xmx5G’ ‘-Dnetbeans.mainclass=org.esa.snap.main.Main’ ‘-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true’ ‘-Dsun.awt.nopixfmt=true’ ‘-Dsun.java2d.dpiaware=false’ -XX:+HeapDumpOnOutOfMemoryError -XX:HeapDumpPath="/home/ubuntu/.snap/var/log/heapdump.hprof" org.netbeans.Main --cachedir “/home/ubuntu/.snap/var/cache” --userdir “/home/ubuntu/.snap” “–branding” “snap” “–locale” “en_GB” 0<&0

• The log file in ~/snap/hs_err_pid24773.log is quiet large, here’s the link to it: https://bpaste.net/show/b424f9689f95

I cannot find how to fix this issue (libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast). Ubuntu is using the default driver for vga card, though I’m not sure if this is what’s causing the bug:

# lshw -C video
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: GD 5446
       vendor: Cirrus Logic
       physical id: 2
       bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
       version: 00
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: vga_controller bus_master
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:f0000000-f1ffffff memory:f3000000-f3000fff

Will look into it. Thanks.

Maybe, it’s just because the Graphic card installed on the instance I’m running isn’t OpenGL capable: http://serverfault.com/a/720856/185022

Luis, we’ll have to check OpenGL / Graphics Driver compatibility before invoking any Java GL code.
See also https://senbox.atlassian.net/browse/SNAP-178