Landsat 4, 5 TM data atmospheric correction

Hi there,

I loaded a test scene (Scene: LT51760361984104ESA00,quality: L1T) from a Landsat 5 mission into SNAP.

Now I want to perform atmospheric correction ideally using the LEDAPS algorithm.

I cannot find anything in the online help.

Could anybody point me in the right direction?

Best regards

Lars
TU Berlin

Hi Lars,
I donā€™t think that LEDAPS is implemented in SNAP.
Currently, only Sentinel-2 data can be correcred regarding atmospheric effects in SNAP, as far as I know.

I can recommend the Semiautomatic Classification Plugin for QGIS if you want to convert DNs into radiances.

I looked into the Semiautomatic Classification plugin, but all it does is DOS1 processing.

I thought, there must be a way, maybe through integration of LEDAPS via python adapter.

It is strange that there is so little info out thereā€¦ There must be more people interested in Landsat 4, 5 legacy scenes processed to surface reflectance from esa, as these are not available at usgsā€¦

thatā€™s rightā€¦
I also wanted to use LEDAPS once (you had to register as a Principal User), but was told that the whole LEDAPS thing would be no longer supported.
I saw some custom LEDAPS implementations on GitHub but didnā€™t try any of them so far.

You can request SR processing from https://espa.cr.usgs.gov. Also, Landsat SR downloaded from ESPA is partially present in Google Earth Engine (we are requesting it for all available Landsat scenes, and should have limited global coverage in a few more months).

@ snap developers: is there a product reader available to import Landsat-8 OLI atmospherically corrected data (LC8SR)? SNAP report the error ā€œNo appropriate product reader foundā€ when trying to open ā€˜xmlā€™ metafile for this product. As result TIF bands have to be opened separately.

Federico

Honestly, I didnā€™t know that LC8SR data exists.
So I think this answers your question :wink: No there is no such reader.
Is this created with this LEDAPS thing or can it be downloaded from ESAP?

1 Like

The LC8SR dataset can be requested on EarthExplorer through a free on-demand processing (ESPA). From http://earthexplorer.usgs.gov on the ā€˜Data Setsā€™ tab, expand the ā€˜Landsat Archiveā€™ section and select ā€˜Landsat Surface Reflectance - L8 OLIā€™ (http://landsat.usgs.gov/documents/Provisional_Landsat_8_SURFACE_REFLECTANCE_EE.pdf).
Product is queued, processed and you get notified by e-mail about product availability for download.

The code USGS uses is here. Itā€™s a fork of ledaps (for pre-L8 assets).

Maybe earthexploerer.usgs.gov updated their search parameters since Sep '16, but it seems ordering L8 SR data is now under ā€˜Data Sets > Landsat Archive > Collection 1 Higher-Level (On-Demand).ā€™

That being said, it seems you must use python to download this data via ESPA-bulk-downloader. I am wondering if anyone has had any success using Anaconda2 downloading these products and if they are willing to provide the steps to making it work. I would like to use Anaconda2 due to sen2corā€™s reliance instead of downloading another python program (Python 27 used for ESPA-bulk-downloader).