Minimum and optimum hardware requirement for analyzing Radar (Sentinel) data

Hello all,

I am going to buy a new Desktop and kindly need some professional advises regarding to best hardware requirements for analyzing satellite images specially Radar (Sentinel) data without any trouble or time wasting.
(how many GB RAM? What types of processor? What type of graphic card? Which operating system?( Does Snap install under Mac also?)

Would be appreciated to advise me regarding this issue.

Thanks and Regards,
Mary

1 Like

I would recommend 16GB of RAM and a multi-core processor. As most of the time in image processing is used on disk I/O, an SSD-disk improves the performance by a lot. SNAP runs on Windows/Linux/Mac OS.

1 Like

Hello all, I’m also interested in this topic. I’ll have to work on sentinel1 and sentinel2 images to extract data concerning agricultural indicators and I was wondering which hardware will suits better, still keeping reasonable budgets. I’ve been adviced for the following specs that seems to me a bit too high, but I’m new in these matters and I don’t want to be stucked in the coming years.

RAM between 32 and 64 Gb,
Quad-core processor minimum,
SSD-disk of 1 Tb for calculations,
HD of 10 Tb for storage.

Does someone can give me an advice about it?

Thanks a lot

That sounds quite reasonable. I have 64Gb RAM + a 6-core CPU with hyperthreading and for my SNAP-usage it feels quite fast. RAM is cheap so go for 64Gb IMO.

Hello all!

I am planning to buy a new laptop and I am wondering whether the processor type Intel i5 or i7 matters when using SNAP? For example, i5-8265u vs. i7-8565u. Is it worth spending money on i7 in this case?
I am mainly working with Sentinel-2 images now.

Thanks for answers.

Better processor is never bad, but more RAM would help more when processing SAR data. You should defintly go for 16 GB if not mroe.

Choose SSD for hard drives, anything that improves I/O-speed is very advantageous.

So if to choose whether to buy a laptop with i7+16GB RAM or a laptop with i5+>16GB RAM, the latter one would be better? Just trying to figure out whether to pay for i7 (would it make a difference from i5) or better to invest to more on RAM.

org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Java heap space
at org.esa.s1tbx.calibration.gpf.Sentinel1RemoveThermalNoiseOp.computeTile(Sentinel1RemoveThermalNoiseOp.java:635)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:80)
at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(SourcelessOpImage.java:137)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
Caused: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.OperatorException: Java heap space
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorExecutor$GPFImagingListener.errorOccurred(OperatorExecutor.java:376)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.sendExceptionToListener(SunTileScheduler.java:1646)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:921)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
at javax.media.jai.PlanarImage.getData(PlanarImage.java:2085)
at com.bc.ceres.glevel.MultiLevelImage.getData(MultiLevelImage.java:64)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:407)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorContext.getSourceTile(OperatorContext.java:393)
at org.esa.snap.core.gpf.internal.OperatorImage.computeRect(OperatorImage.java:73)
at javax.media.jai.SourcelessOpImage.computeTile(SourcelessOpImage.java:137)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.SunTileScheduler.scheduleTile(SunTileScheduler.java:904)
at javax.media.jai.OpImage.getTile(OpImage.java:1129)
at com.sun.media.jai.util.RequestJob.compute(SunTileScheduler.java:247)
[catch] at com.sun.media.jai.util.WorkerThread.run(SunTileScheduler.java:468)

Hello in this regard, is better a laptop with a processor from AMD - Ryzen 7 4800H OR from Intel - Core i7-9800X @ 3.80GHz.
In some search, I feel that since Software SNAP makes use of multiple cores is better this particular AMD than INTEL.
Any other opinions?

Thank you.

Both can run 16 threads in parallel. So both should do a good job. The intel CPU is older than the one from amd you mentioned and the intel one is for desktops.
Having these two options I would go for the amd cpu.

Thank you all. All answers are very useful.
Can I ask if Graphics card is important in SAR processing or any data processing for that matter?

No, graphic cards are not used for processing by SNAP.

1 Like

Hello,

i’m going to buy a new desktop exclusively for SAR processing (high and low resolution products). Have you any advice about the graphic card and motherboard?

Also, in general, my badget is limited, so i’ll appreciate if someone can suggest in which component (CPU, RAM, SSD Storage, grafhic card) i have to invest more money.

Thank you.
Regards,
Othmane.

Hello,
There is an entry for this in the FAQ, maybe this can help you:
https://senbox.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/SNAP/pages/1898053693/SNAP+FAQs#What-are-the-minimal-requirements-for-SNAP?

Thank you Oana. Yes, i found is something about RAM requiments. However, about graphic card i didn’t find out nothing. In your opinion, for sar processing and post processing (e.g. GIS), is better an integrate or dedicate graphic card?

Thank you.
My best,
Othmane.

Most (all?) SNAP operators don’t use the GPU, so I suggest getting an integrated one and maybe spending more on a faster CPU or more RAM (or just saving the money). You should also be mindful on the heap size, but that depends on how you’ll be running it (SNAP or GPT). A larger Java heap won’t always result in better performance.

Hello,
Regarding the graphic card the answer is above in this post:

Maybe others SAR users can share their system configuration/ experience.

Integrated graphics in current systems is quite robust, older versions often had annoying limitations. RAM usage often depends on what apps are being used concurrently with SNAP. Web browsers and GIS software can use big chunks of RAM.