Missing command line upon download

Hello!

First time poster - sorry if I get anything wrong!

I was trying to integrate SNAP with python on my work machine. I was having a bit of trouble so I decided to uninstall and reinstall SNAP which seemed like less hassle (still unsolved, but one issue at a time).

Unfortunately, after re-installing SNAP on my work unit, I was unable to find SNAP command line. I searched in the windows search bar, and also tried going into the SNAP folder to look for any executable file. I thought this was weird, so I tried to uninstall/re-install on my personal unit. After re-installation, I DO have snap command line on my personal unit.

I was wondering if someone could provide some insight on this. Both units are window 10 units. I do believe upon installation on the work unit, I received an error that a ‘home folder’ I think could not have been created.

Thank you!
Jamie

Hi Jamie,

difficult to tell what went wrong during the re-installation.
The command line executable should be in the bin folder of the installation directory.

I just can ask you to try it again. Maybe in a different location.
Ensure that you enable the option to delete all SNAP related user data.

On a personal system where I have admin privileges, I get c:\Program Files\snap\bin\snap.exe.

On a work system where I don’t have “admin privileges” I used to get something like: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Programs\snap\bin\snap.exe. The AppData folder is hidden, so doesn’t appear in the File Explorer unless you enable “Show hidden files, folders, and drives”. Now Software Centre provides an installer for SNAP that uses Program Files (for SNAP 7 it didn’t allow updates, but with SNAP 8 updates are allowed and seem to save new jar files under %USERPROFILE%\AppData).

For SNAP Python (snappy) be warned that there a multiple python libraries called “snappy” or “snap.py”, so it is important to stick with the official snappy configuration. I recommend using Python 3.6 unless you have a lot of legacy Python2 code you want to use. The best way to avoid conflicts is to “append to the sys.path variable in your Python code before importing snappy”. This makes it clear to future users that your script uses SNAP snappy.

1 Like