Mosaic SLC S1 images

Hello!

We want to create an interferogram for our entire area of interest.
If one S1 SLC image does not cover the entire area of interest and we need to mosaic it with the adjacent one and form 2 mosaicked interferograms, how can we do this in Sentinel Toolbox?
Actually, we want to avoid the overlapping part (artificial discuntinuity) of two separately produced adjacent interfergrams…

Many thanks!

This should be possible with the SAR-Mosaic functionality. Note that there will be a real discontinuity because the viewing-angle is different, and the baseline is likely to be different as well. Also, since the dates of the 2nd interferogram will differ as well it’s possible that the underlying signal is different too.

@mengdahl chripsyc
That makes sense. How about mosaicking along track? Is it possible to select and mosaic bursts 1-3 from one scene, and bursts 4-9 from the preceding one, to generate a scene that corresponds to a previous image, and then create an interferogram from the two?

Many thanks!

James

You should do this with the slice assembly. First create your interferograms independently and as a final step use the slice assembly.

1 Like

hello team
i’m going through SLC products mosaic discussions, as per my knowledge i have understood that it can be done by the slice assembling for two consecutive images.
for me, study area covering the 3 bursts (IW1, IW2 & IW3) in a single image and consecutive image also , but we can do process for single bursts at a time. After that how can we mosaic all these 3 bursts, please help me in finding solution. I think after mosaic all these 3 bursts, slice assembling, can be done for consecutive images. (sorry for my English and lack of knowledge)

thank you in advance.

Please have a look at the following posts,

Source of the post

Source of the posts

S1 TOPS Slice assembly

Mosaic of two interferogram products (with “_ifg” at the end of file name) through S-1 Slice assembly gives an error, which saying “Error: [NodeID: SliceAssembly] java.lang.NullPointException”

Hello

I am new to SAR data analysis. I have undertaken a project where I downloaded Sentinel-1 Level-1 Single Look Complex (SLC) images and subsequently generated interferograms for analysis within my study area. I generated the velocity interferograms and exported in .TIFF format.

However, I am encountering challenges in consolidating these interferograms into a single image file. Despite efforts using software tools such as Snap and other GIS platforms, I have not been able to obtain satisfactory results. The merged images lack proper interpretability, which is crucial for the success of my research endeavor.

Given the complexity and significance of my study area, which spans multiple scenes covered by Sentinel-1 acquisitions, it is imperative to merge these interferograms accurately to derive meaningful insights.

I am seeking guidance, recommendations, or solutions from fellow researchers or professionals who have encountered similar issues or possess expertise in processing Sentinel-1 SAR data.

Any assistance, advice, or insights on effective methods or tools for accurately merging Sentinel-1 interferograms would be greatly appreciated. Your expertise could significantly contribute to the advancement of my research objectives and aid in achieving reliable and insightful results.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.
Shruti

I don’t think merging interferograms is the technically correct approach, as the imaging geometry changes if you mix different orbit tracks and ascending/descending acquisitions. There are also additional technical difficulties since both the bursts and swaths have overlap, and the pixel dimensions of the bursts change from swath to swath. Perhaps @jun_lu has some suggestions.

I agree with @mengdahl that you should not merge the interferograms. If your goal is to compute the elevation or deformation of the earth surface, I think you should compute it first for each interferogram, then merge the computed elevations or deformations rather than merging the interferograms.

@jun_lu , @mengdahl Thank you for your prompt reply ,
I am planning to merge the deformation images which are in .tiff format. Any suggestions for mosaicing the files.
Thank You

Try the SAR mosaic operators under Radar > Geometric