NDVI estimation using Sentinel 1

Hi Everyone,

What should be the process to estimate NDVI, NDWI and EVI from Sentinel 1 IW GRDH VV and VH bands?

Thanks
Harsh L. Shah

Sentinel-1 is a radar sensor, but the indices you mention refer to multispectral data (e.g. Sentinel-2 or Landsat).

There are discussions in this forum on how radar backscatter values or indices are comparable, but this strongly depends on the type of plant.
You find them with the search function.

1 Like

Hi ABraun,

Thanks for a prompt reply. Appreciate your help.

I am come across below paper, where authors have estimated NDVI using sentinel 1.

I am not sure about the earlier steps in the paper.

I am new to sentinel data and would like to estimate NDVI from Sentinel 1.

Thanks
Harsh L. Shah

Good that you mention it. Maybe you can refer to specific points of the article which you don’t understand or ask more specifically where you need help.

1 Like

Hi ABraun,

My question is “How to do radiometric correction? (Equation 2 on Page 6) using python or other methods?”

Thanks
Harsh L. Shah

I can tell you how it is done in SNAP. But you can find more on these formulas here: Radiometric Calibration of Level-1 Products - Sentinel-1 SAR Technical Guide - Sentinel Online - Sentinel Online

1 Like

Sentinel-1 RTC processing can be ordered at no cost using the Alaska Satellite Facility HyP3 processing service. Processing can be ordered using Vertex On-Demand, or programmatically using the HyP3 API or SDK. For more information, view the HyP3 User Guide: https://hyp3-docs.asf.alaska.edu/