Need help for opening Sentinel-2 data

1. First open the product,
  2. Then create the RGB image by selecting from the context ‘Open RGB Image Window’.
  3. Use the Natural Colors profile or change it as you like.
  4. Select from the context menu of the image ‘Export View as Image’
  5. Select file location and change format from BMP to PNG or JPEG. Also ensure to select ‘Full scene’ and ‘Full resolution’

Now you should have an image with the 10m resolution.

I did exactly that but it says that it has run out of memory. One other thing how good is 10m resolution like can I see houses individually?

out of memory means your system is not strong enough to create the image.

Individual houses cannot be seen at resolutions of 10 meters, sorry.

Oh, I was wrong I meant “farms” individually because I live far away from them. Well I get it.

It looks like this on my screen:
One pixel on screen is one pixel in the image. That’s the best you can get, if you zoom in further it gets blurry.

You can do the image creation on a subset. Then less memory is needed.
Zoom and Navigate to the region you are interested in and then do the export. But stick to ‘View region’, only select ‘Full resolution’ in the export dialog.

I get it that seeing smaller things like houses and stuff like that is not visible so farms will not do any good. Problem is over. What do people do with this data??? I mean what kind of work does this involve??? How can people benefit from ESA’s project???

There is a long list of application.
For example here (not only s2):
https://sentinel.esa.int/web/sentinel/thematic-areas

From USGS Earth Explorer there are Sentinel-2 but most file is MSI Sentinel-2. But from ESA website which is https://scihub.copernicus.eu/dhus/#/home, there are additional data that havent mention in USGS Earth Explorer. So I prefer download in ESA. After consider which website example from ESA website, you have to Signup and download and choose to location you want to download. Then
You will get a zip file which you need to unzip it.
You will get a directory named S2A_*.SAFE.
Inside this directory you will have a file S2A_OPER_.xml.
After that open using SNAP and Choose product, get the xml file first. Then you can do whatever wanna do like show RGB by right click on the file and choose “Open RGB Image Window”. Then you look at what you have download.

Hi,
I have read through this thread but I still have a problem opening Sentinel 2 images in SNAP 5.0. I hope you can help.

I have downloaded the image ‘S2A_MSIL1C_20170925T113321_N0205_R080_T30UUF_20170925T113315’ (which I’ll call <image_name>) from scihub.copernicus.eu, extracted the image using 7-Zip into a folder C:/Data/S2A/

Using SNAP 5.0: File>Open Product I browsed to the <image_name>.SAFE folder and tried to open the MTD_MSIL1C.xml but I get an error, ‘Invalid OpenJpeg executables’.

To try to resolve the issue I have:
tried downloading the same imagery from these providers:
sedasdm.satapps.org
earthexplorer.usgs.gov
But the same error occurs.

I also updated the plugins, (Tools>Plugins>Updates) including the ‘Sentinel-2 Toolbox Kit Module’.
Same error occurs.

I have also tried opening the images in SNAP via File>Import>Optical Sensors>Sentinel-2>S2 MSI L1C but get the same error ‘Invalid OpenJpeg executables’.

I can open the images in ArcMap.

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation,
Stephen

Hi, After a bit more searching in the forum I have found the answer. See this thread

Basically my company Windows Group Policy does not allow execution of the OpenJpeg executables in mu user directory. See the linked thread for more details if you are have this problem too.

Now to call my IT Support…

S

1 Like

Problem sorted - the IT folk granted permission to run the OpenJpeg executables and the Sentinel 2 data imports!

I hope this helps other users.

S

Hello, I m using S2-L2A data, and i would to export AOT, WVP, and spectral bands in geotiff format.
But, I dont fine AOT and WVP layer using SNAP (in contrast to PCI for example).

Thank you

It seems to me that the developers missed a bit.

@obarrilero Do you know something about?

AOT and WVP should be in the “quality” folder but it doesn’t appear in your"test" product. How did you get this product? Do you get these information in the original product?

Yes, it is the S2-L2A data provided by https://scihub.copernicus.eu/

Hello
Is it the quality_aot that you’re looking for? I’ve just run your product through the Sen2Cor standalone, and it has returned this

as @Nicolas says - the AOT and WVP are in the “quality” subfolder in the product.

Cheers

Jan

Yes, thank you.
Pleae, do you have used the biophysical algo. Ithink there a some missing files like [LAI_Cw_TestCases]

I have this error message,
WARNING: org.esa.snap.core.gpf.common.SubsetOp: No intersection with source product boundary S2A_MSIL2A_20171026T110131_N0206_R094_T30SWJ_20171026T144303_resampled
SEVERE: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when reading /home/ndjamai/.snap/auxdata/s2tbx/biophysical/2_1/LAI_Cw/LAI_Cw_TestCases
WARNING: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when loading coefficients TEST_CASES for variable LAI_Cw. They won’t be available.
SEVERE: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when reading /home/ndjamai/.snap/auxdata/s2tbx/biophysical/2_1/FCOVER/FCOVER_TestCases
WARNING: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when loading coefficients TEST_CASES for variable FCOVER. They won’t be available.
SEVERE: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when reading /home/ndjamai/.snap/auxdata/s2tbx/biophysical/2_1/FCOVER/FCOVER_DefinitionDomain_MinMax
WARNING: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when loading coefficients DEFINITION_DOMAIN_MINMAX for variable FCOVER. They won’t be available.
SEVERE: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when reading /home/ndjamai/.snap/auxdata/s2tbx/biophysical/2_1/FCOVER/FCOVER_DefinitionDomain_Grid
WARNING: org.esa.s2tbx.biophysical.BiophysicalAuxdata: Error when loading coefficients DEFINITION_DOMAIN_GRID for variable FCOVER. They won’t be available.

sentinel 2 data

Hi guys,
I am experiencing the same problem when I try to load the MTD_MSIL1.xml, it appear th “No appropriate product reader found”. I am a bit confused since I am running the last version fo SNAP available (2020), which it is supposes to work with MTD file. Do you have any clues to resolve the issue?
Thanks.
Paolo

And you have the S2TBX installed? You can check by opening the about dialog (Help / About SNAP). There should be a tab for the S2TBX.
If yes it would be helpful if you can send the logs.
In section “Read this before posting” of the FAQ it is explained how to get the log file.
FAQ - STEP Forum