Option to suppress GPT logging

When I use gpt from command line I always get many ‘INFO’, ‘SEVERE’ and ‘WARNING’ logging messages on the console.
This happens since snap version 2 (or 3), but it does not affect gpt execution and I always get the expected results.
Many logging messages can be annoying when trying to log console output for long scripts.

I tried to disable (or almost reduce) the gpt console logging level by adding (one at a time) the following lines to file ‘gpt.vmoptions’:

-Dsnap.log.level=INFO

-Dgpt.log.level=INFO

-Djava.util.logging.ConsoleHandler.level=INFO

but I still get all the logging messages in the console.
Also adding the previous mentioned lines as a gpt option in the command line do not disable logging.

Is there a way to completely disable gpt logging messages?

Kind regards,

Federico

I just tried with SNAP 5.0 and specifying the-Dsnap.log.level=OFF in the gpt.vmoptions worked and all log messages are turned of. Probably you haven’t seen any difference because INFO is the default value.
You can also use -Dsnap.log.level=ERROR. Then you should only see error logs.

By the way, I have noticed that specifying such -D options directly on the command line is not working (SNAP-674).

Thank you Marco, adding the line

-Dsnap.log.level=OFF

in the file ‘gpt.vmoptions’ effectively suppress the gpt logging in the console.
I do confirm that inserting it directly in the command line does not work.

I am pleasantly surprised by the addition of the progress log in the console when using gpt, is it a new feature in SNAP 5.0.1?

Kind regards,

Federico

Yes, it was recently implemented by my colleague @lveci.

Hi @marpet and @FedericoF, apologies for jumping onto an old thread but where do i find the file “gpt.vmoptions”?
Best wishes,
Harry

No problem.
This file is in the ‘bin’ folder of the installation directory.
For me on windows it is: C:\Program Files\snap\bin

Im using SNAP installed on a linux system but I don’t seem to have the bin folder installed?
I have printed a list of the available folders in the .snap folder on the virtual machine

The $HOME/.snap directory is for user configuration file. The default “installation directory” on linux is “$HOME/snap”, but for Ubuntu this directory may already exist, so users often choose a different name. As you see, finding the file your want on linux is sometimes tricky. As a result, there are lots of tools to help locate files. If you can start ESA programs (snap or gpt) on your command line, which snap or which gpt should show you the location (or may give the location of some other program called snap). The find and “locate” utilities are widely used to search for a file. The main differences are that find uses brute force search while locate requires a prebuilt database (usually updated nightly on systems that run 7x24) and generally used on larger mutli-user systems where find can be slow. If you have never used find, you should look for a tutorial. You can try: find $HOME -name gpt.vmoptions to search under your home directory.