The European Space Agency (herein the “Agency” or “ESA”) is an intergovernmental organisation established by its Convention opened for signature in Paris on 30 May 1975 having its headquarters located at 24 rue du Général Bertrand, CS 30798, 75345 Paris Cedex 07, France.
Protection of Personal Data is of great importance for ESA, which strives to ensure a high level of protection as required by the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection (herein the “ESA PDP Framework”) which applies in this field. ESA implements appropriate measures to preserve the rights of data subjects, to ensure the processing of personal data for specified and legitimate purposes, in a not excessive manner, as necessary for the purposes for which the personal data were collected or for which they are further processed, in conditions protecting confidentiality, integrity and safety of personal data and generally to implement the principles set forth in the PDP Framework.
You may have access to the ESA PDP Framework at the following URL:
ESA PDP Framework is composed of the following elements:
- the Principles of Personal Data Protection, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017;
- the Rules of Procedure for the Data Protection Supervisory Authority, as adopted by ESA Council Resolution (ESA/C/CCLXVIII/Res.2 (Final)) adopted on 13 June 2017; and
- the Policy on Personal Data Protection adopted by Director General of ESA on 5 February 2018 and effective on 1 March 2018.
This form is intended to inform you, as data subject, about:
- the identity of the data controller and contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”);
- the type of personal data which is collected and processed;
- the modalities of collection of personal data;
- the purpose of the collection and processing;
- the recipients (if any) to whom the personal data of the data subject shall be disclosed;
- the time-limits for storing the personal data;
- the practical modalities of exercising the rights of the data subject under the ESA PDP Framework.
This form is also enables ESA to obtain your consent relating to the collection and further processing of your personal data, under ESA PDP Framework.
(1) Who is the Data Controller ?
Your personal data are collected and further processed as shown below upon the decision taken by ESA. The Data Controller is ESA.
(2) What are the contact details of ESA Data Protection Officer?
According to ESA PDP Framework, your first point of contact concerning personal data matters is the ESA Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), who may be contacted at DPO@esa.int
For further information on the situations in which you may contact the ESA DPO, please refer to the questions below.
The email-address of the STEP Forum administrator is email@example.com
(3) What kind of personal data about you are collected and further processed?
The personal data which may be collected and further processed for the purposes mentioned below are in particular:
- A username that you provide for your user account on the STEP Forum, that may or may not be your real name.
- In addition you may provide extra information about yourself that is tied to your user account, including your real name or other information that can identify you.
- Your E-mail address.
In addition, the usage of your user account on the STEP Forum will result in:
- Storing a cookie on your computer.
- Your IP-address will be stored temporarily in the server logs, but it is not connected to your user account.
You are required not to send to the Agency any sensitive information (including information that indicate, directly or indirectly, the personnel’s ethnic origin, political opinions, adhesion to unions, parties etc., health situation, sexual orientation).
(4) How are your personal data collected or further processed ?
The personal data is provided by you, as indicated under item (3).
(5) Why are your personal data collected and further processed ?
Your personal data are collected and further processed in order to:
- Generate an user account on STEP Forum and to use the Forum functionalities.
- To enable you to make posts on STEP Forum, in which you may reveal personal information about yourself. Please note the requirement on not to post sensitive information under item (3).
- To send you emails about password resets and notifications on new forum posts (if you opt in).
In addition to these purposes, the Agency may use your personal information for any of the purposes mentioned in Article 5 of the Policy on Personal Data Protection.
(6) To whom might we disclose your personal data to?
The Agency may disclose your personal data to any of the following third party recipients for the fulfilment of all or part of the purposes of the collection and processing of personal data, which are mentioned above:
- Recipients acting as contractors involved in the operation, maintenance and hosting of the STEP Forum.
- Servers of the recipient are located in: The European Union
The Agency does not consider your personal data as an asset for sale and, thus, does not does not sell your personal data to any third parties.
(7) How long do we retain your personal data for?
The Agency may keep your personal data for as long as necessary for the fulfilment of the above mentioned purposes, which in this case is the lifetime of the STEP Forum or until you request deletion or to be unsubscribed. Your Personal Data shall be deleted thereafter.
(8) How can you erase, rectify, complete or amend your personal data ?
You may request the erasure, rectification, completion or amendment of your personal data if, and to the extent that it is inaccurate or incomplete, having regard to the purposes for which they are collected and processed, or if they are processed in violation with the principles referred in ESA PDP Framework.
If you choose to make a request for the erasure of personal data, you understand and agree that your user account on STEP Forum shall be anonymised and no longer tied to your identity.
The above mentioned request should be submitted to the ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Copy to: email@example.com & firstname.lastname@example.org
- You are also allowed to access your personal data and have the possibility to erase, rectify, complete or amend it, according to the following modalities:
- By accessing your account, using your username and password, and editing your personal data (login at https://forum.step.esa.int/)
If you do not remember your password, you can request a password reset email to be sent to the email-address you have provided by using the password recovery functionality (available via the login-popup at https://forum.step.esa.int/).
If you are unable to access your account, please contact the STEP Forum administrator at email@example.com.
(9) What could you do in case of a data protection incident?
In case of a data protection incident, you should contact ESA DPO, as first point of contact, by sending an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
In case you wish to submit a complaint, you are required to comply with the Rules of Procedure of the Supervisory Authority set forth by ESA PDP Framework. You will be required to demonstrate that a data protection incident occurred in relation to your personal data, following a decision of the Agency or at least to justify serious reasons to believe that such incident occurred.
(10) Your consent
For those cases where your consent was not already obtained by ESA (including by other modalities) and is required under the ESA Framework on Personal Data Protection, you agree with the collection and further processing of your personal data.
You will be able to withdraw your consent by emailing the STEP Forum administrator at email@example.com